• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Hatch Hinge HELP PLEASE!

88'XJ

NAXJA Forum User
here are some pics of my hinge (just noticed it the other day while waxing it)

upload_44175e2647dd1.JPG

upload_44175e358f528.JPG

i tired loosinging hte 2 bolts on the hatch and one of them staped real easy...and the pin will not go back in...it's worn into the fiberglass!

so i snugged up the onther one..and have been real easy on the hatch.

how hard is it to pull the hatch off?...and where can i get one new screw from? (prolly need all new ones anyway)

thanks

88'XJ said:
i tired loosinging hte 2 bolts on the hatch and one of them staped real easy...
Do you mean stripped? I'd vote for getting a replacement at a bone yard and removing the old one by cutting the bolt off with a dremel tool.

If you don't have a dremel, buy one.

A dremel tool and air compressor are the two tools no man ever regrets buying, this is a perfect excuse to finally get one.

Well, an air compressor, if you scimp and buy a poor quality or too small of one, instead of a proper air compressor, you'll regret not buying the better air compressor.

The nuts that hold it to the body come out pretty easy, but the bolts that go into the gate seem to break pretty often. If you snap one of them you will have to drill and tap it. Those are a real pain. especially on the older xj's. Good Luck!

xray said:
The nuts that hold it to the body come out pretty easy, but the bolts that go into the gate seem to break pretty often. If you snap one of them you will have to drill and tap it. Those are a real pain. especially on the older xj's. Good Luck!

yup...snapped the head off of the one in the hatch...gonna be fun to get out.

thanks all

bump, what size bolts do they use IN THE HATCH since i need to replace one (srill and tap).

thanks

Back