• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing pivoting vent window glass?

lylep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1991 XJ 4 door with the pivoting vent windows. I have purchased new weatherstrip for the passenger side vent window, but before I go into the door, I wondered if anyone knows if the glass can be removed without going inside the door to remove the entire vent window assembly? I removed the top screw that goes through the hole in the glass, leaving only the bottom pivot, but the glass did not seem to want to come out and I didn't want to force it and make matter worse. So... do I just need to tug harder, or is there a nut down there that makes it necessary to remove the entire assembly to get to it?

Thanks!

At the bottom of the shaft that is attached to the vent window frame there is a "pivto spring" and nut that hold the lower portion in place. You'll have to remove the door trim panel to access it.

Nevada City Sparky said:
Where did you get the rubber?

X2...someday i need to replace that for my vent windows (they scream goin down the highway)

I got the vent w/strip from http://www.allchryslerparts.com/ . The part number for the passenger side is 55024300 and price was $25.59. I also picked up the two front exterior "wipes" as mine were cracked. part #'s 55235408 - $12.77 & 55235409 - $10.75.

Good prices and great service. I had the parts delivered to my door in 5 days even though they had to special order.

Lyle

Back