• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant in odd place?

gfowler29072

NAXJA Forum User
Last week I earned my Renix CPS merit badge on my '89 XJ 4.0 - 172,500 miles. I even "elected" to take the more challenging route of dropping a bolt into the bellhousing, so I could recover it by removing the torque converter inspection plate. While fishing for the bolt, I noticed coolant on top of the oily mess in this crevice. I figured it was from burping the coolant system by removing the temperature guage sending unit a while back. So, I cleaned up the grime and inspection plate and went on my way. Last night, I noticed a small drop of coolant about to drop from the bottom of the inspection cover. Any ideas as to where this could be coming from? I do have to add a small amount of coolant every now and then, but I figured it was due to the small leak from the radiator drain plug.

Thanks,
Greg
Lexington, SC
'89 Cherokee

did you check all the hoses and the heater valve? I've seen heater valves seep coolant. I'd start with all the external coolant hoses before I started looking at the engine itself. if it's the engine then I would look at freeze plugs and the head gasket.

X2
Here's a pic of it (it's my 2.5L, but you get the idea). Have to pull the trans to get at it :(
Jeff

AX5clutchandflywheel.jpg

langer1 said:
I would suspect a rusted out freeze plug behind the bell housing.

That's exactly what I was thinking; a leaking freeze plug on the back of the block. Unfortunately there are only two ways to fix it and both are time-consuming (and expensive if you're paying a mechanic to do it). You'll either need to remove the engine (probably quicker) or drop the tranny.
Since one freeze plug is leaking, I strongly advise you replace all the others as well. It's only a matter of time before another one leaks (if it isn't already).

The downiside of using tap water in coolant mixes...replace them with brass.

I have tentative plans to replace the radiator early summer. I guess I'll add this to the list when that happens. Neighbor has a new engine hoist he needs to loan out. Thanks for the replies.

Greg

Back