• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

M.O.R.E. 8.8 install kit

PNWXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if this kit is worth the $160 it sells for. It seems kinda steep considering you can buy all the peices that are used in the kit for only $105 from them or like $85 from RE. The only part I can tell it comes with that can not be purchased separately are the U-bolt plates, but cant I just reuse my current ones? Or is the tube diameter to much different for them? Also for some odd reason the YJ kit is only $120 and seems to have all the same parts.
This all seems a bit shady to me but I thought I would get some advise from you all.
As for the brake lines and cables I am still researching that all.

Thanks

Tim

Here is a link to what I am looking at:
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/Mounting Hardware-Axle/Mounting Hardware.htm

..I have a 1997 Ford Explorer under my XJ also .Here is some information that I have gleaned from right here at NAXJA and other sources that might be useful to save you some money: 2-2-1379 =spicer flange adapter for 1998 Ford Explorer LS 3.73:1 8.8 axle to drive-shaft. Can be purchased at NAPA auto supply store .
Other Parts Needed
Brake pads (P/N 6674, AutoZone)
Calipers (P/N's C576 &C577, AutoZone)
Guide pins (2 - H15068, AutoZone)
Banjo bolts (Ford P/N 385116-S2)
Hoses (2 - NAPA P/N 380376 & 380528 ) E-brake cables (Mopar P/N's 52008904 & 05)
"T" Hose (P/N 380889, NAPA)
2 - Hard Brake Lines(NAPA P/N 813-1208 & 813-1204 )Yoke Adapter (Spicer P/N 2-2-1379, NAPA)
Yoke bolts (Ford P/N N800594-S100)
8.8 flange bolts and spring perches info=
They are metric, however the size slips my mind at the moment. DO NOT use grade 8.8 for these, the proper bolt has a 12 point, 12mm head and is
grade 10.9. Auto dealership item . Any driveline shop carries them, including www.highangledriveline.com. Tons of places carry perches. You'll need D-60 sized ones, which are designed for 3.25" tube. Don't pay more than $20 for a set. Any trailer manufacturer in your area should have a supply of perches. Also Central Four Wheel Drive if you are out West. GLI . For those spring perches, do a search here or out on the internet for a article called "Bullet-Proof-Spring-Perches".For a small investment in something like fourteen dollars in 21/2"inch square box tube X 1/4"inch wall make your own.-
BILLXJ

i just finished my 8.8 install. i only used the spring perches, u bolts, and e-brake cables from MORE. everything worked out fine after shortening the e brake cable a bit. you definitely cannot use the oem plates or u bolts. when you get the replacements you'll see why. MORE's prices are a bit steep, but their stuff works... well.

thompson97 said:
i just finished my 8.8 install. i only used the spring perches, u bolts, and e-brake cables from MORE. everything worked out fine after shortening the e brake cable a bit. you definitely cannot use the oem plates or u bolts. when you get the replacements you'll see why. MORE's prices are a bit steep, but their stuff works... well.

What plates did you use? And by that I mean the part that holds the leaf spring down to the axle.. the plate that is above the springs, not the perch.

Thanks

Tim

we just made our own plates out of 1/2 inch plate and a tourch! pretty cool stuff! otherwise places like foothilloffroad.com have them and they are only like 15 bucks!!

stoney

..I agree with Stoney. For the record,.. M.O.R.E. or any other commercial vendor is entitled to charge anything they so deem fit. But,... if you have been among the many thousands of interested Jeep Cherokee owners following the commentaries and experiences of many of the contributors here at the NAXJA forum for any appreciable length of time you will come to the understandable conclusion that if you could just make some small economical investment in time and in tools, maybe , a metal grinder/cutting tool( your choice ,Dewalt,Makita,etc) and/or either have acces to(Millermatic or Hobart MIG ,torch,etc.) or do some welding yourself,.. this or any other seemingly difficult engineering XJ modification can be , not only personally rewarding but cost-efficient as well.
BILLXJ

i reused the plates from my 8.25 for my 8.8. i also reused the 8.8 u-bolts. i made shock mounts out of angle iron that look like this.
suspension_lsm1.jpg

i used d60 spring mounts (3" not 3.25", they required slight grinding), new pads, and a new hard line. i also got the spicer flange locally.
shock mounts $2
spring mounts $20
pads $30
hard line $6
total $58
i paid $350 for the 8.8 with track lock and 4.10's with 40k miles. i sold my 8.25 for $200. so for $208 i regeared, got disks, and got a much stronger axle.
i would definitely say there's no need for the more kit if you don't mind a little extra shopping around.
matthew

Thanks for all the insight on this. I will shop around for the parts needed for this swap. I didnt plan on getting the MORE kit in the 1st place I just wanted some info and see if there was something that made it worth the $$$ I will propably at least fab the spring plates, like stoney said he did it.. As for the perches and such I will check around for that. I unfortunatly live in an apartment which means I have to use my friend's equipment at his house to do the work on this.
Just getting everything figured out so the swap is smooth.

Tim

Back