• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powertrax or Detroit, not the normal comparison...

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Okay bought a new Powertrax No-Slip from a friend for a good deal ($200) plus the guy will installit for free with my gears. Well gears and locker were done awhile back, the paddle broke off the spacer on the Powertrax and so I took it out. Now I just got around to ordering the paddle ($34) and the guy still owes me the install and he is in 2 weeks.

But, I just keep hearing bad stuff about these No-Slips about how they don't last and are weak,etc. Soo I thought about selling my unit that has 10 miles on it and I have a guy that will buy it for $275 + shipping. So me being short on cash right now am considering it.

Only issues is I really really need to be locked in the rear for around here, but my issue is I drive 20k miles a year and I ma not sure I'll have more bad luck with the No-Slip or not. I will have cash later for a Detroit, but thats $500+ on the 8.25 which sucks so what do I do?

Years ago I had a CJ with a real Detriot in the rear and I loved it. Get the Detroit. People regret buying the cheaper stuff, but almost never the better stuff.

I ran the powertrax for two years and it was awesome. The only place they suk is on install, I would say this is where 95% of them are broken.

hmmm i'd hang on to the no-slip unless you really need the cash. When i did my searches for lockers all i found were rave reviews for the no-slip.
How old was the no-slip? Was it in your friends rig? Everything and anything can break, a $34 part sounds like a keeper to me. you may want to put in a new spring kit too while you're at it. What kinda miles on the no-slip?
You should also do the install yourself on the no-slip. VERY EASY. If you can change your own spark plugs, you can do this install.
Also, why do you think there's a guy waiting to pay $275 for a used no-slip, apparently they're good. Mine has been great and wouldn't change it for anything, save a Detroit! lol

Good luck.

I never had a problem with my no-slip. If I hadnt upgraded to a dana 44, I'd still be running it. The guy who bought my 8.25 is still running the no-slip .. it's on its third or fourth jeep now, and running strong. Not quiet the quality of an Aussie, but I would not hesitate to run one again.

-C

No-Slip was brand new when I got it, it now has 10 miles on it it and thats it. Its seems about right that "most" issues are just getting the dang thing in wihtout breaking the paddle. My buddy is a mechanic and was payed to install my gears and is willing to do this install free again so I am gonna let him. BTW, I don't cahnge my own spark plugs, lol.

I installed a no slip into my friends DD Z71 and with in a month one of the ears broke off, and it was acting like a open diff, when I removed it we boxed it up and out the spiders back, lok rite sent us the diff with all new parts free of charge and we reinstalled it, its been there every since and it now had 50k miles on it, it's been there about 4 years with out any more problems.

yeah, they seem pretty tough if they are installed right. I beat the shit out of mine, but it looked good when I sold it.

Back