• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best 4" coils

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Into the seventh year now on my 4" coils and as usual the RHS is dropping more than the left. I have a inch more of spacer on that side and it is now still lower. Not only due to the torque of the engine compressing that side plus the weight of the battery, but I have the weight of the steering box as well on that side and me being in there alone a lot of the time as this is the drivers side for me too.
So is there any company making smooth riding 4" coils ( dont wont any extra height at all ) that comes with a good stagger so it will stay level? Heard of some even using OME 4" TJ coils ( OME934 ) which will sit a little lower on a XJ but I dont have a winch or heavy bumper so wont be quite as bad for me as some. But I dont know if they will keep it level without spacing one side? At least I can buy them from the factory here which I can walk to from my house. ;)
I almost want to buy two pairs of coils with one 3" and the other 4" if I could find them both in the same spring rate!

OME are the softest, but I think they only go up to 2-1/2" or so. RE products are nice, except for their long arm XJ system.

Troy

Big Red said:
OME are the softest, but I think they only go up to 2-1/2" or so. RE products are nice, except for their long arm XJ system.

Troy
what problmes you have with the LA upgrade from RE?

I've been pretty happy with my Rusty's 4.5" coils. I've had them on for over a year, they ride pretty smooth, and with an ARB bull bar and 12,000 lb winch it hasn't really sagged up front. That's an extra 200 pounds up front without much difference. I think they're a good choice, and pretty cheap too.

www.rustysoffroad.com

Chris

I know a “Perfection alist” when I read what they’ve wrote, because I’m married to one. Life is hard in a non-perfect world.
Just go on and order you a new complete spring kit in the amount of lift you would like or add another spacer.
BTW What kind of locker did you end up getting for the rear?

Last edited:
I have the OME 934 coils, I believe they are a ZJ coil. Anyway, they gave 3" of lift when 1st fitted and sagged about .25 - .50" in 6 months so they are unlikely to give you 4" ever. I had no aftermarket bumper or winch at the time and am also driving a RHD XJ.

I've been looking for similar and will probably go for a RE or Rusty's 4.5" coil as .50" is very little and spring heights seem more of a guidance than an accurate science anyway.

English XJ said:
I have the OME 934 coils, I believe they are a ZJ coil. Anyway, they gave 3" of lift when 1st fitted and sagged about .25 - .50" in 6 months so they are unlikely to give you 4" ever.

I'm looking at the OME coils and springs for my 96 XJ w/ 4.0L. No winch or anything like that. With the 2.5" of lift they advertise, are they going to clear my 31x10.50 tires? What are you running? I also notice that they come in light, med, and heavy settings. Any suggestions? I don't mind paying more for the OME, I know it is quality.

Gojeep said:
Into the seventh year now on my 4" coils and as usual the RHS is dropping more than the left. I have a inch more of spacer on that side and it is now still lower. Not only due to the torque of the engine compressing that side plus the weight of the battery, but I have the weight of the steering box as well on that side and me being in there alone a lot of the time as this is the drivers side for me too.
So is there any company making smooth riding 4" coils ( dont wont any extra height at all ) that comes with a good stagger so it will stay level? Heard of some even using OME 4" TJ coils ( OME934 ) which will sit a little lower on a XJ but I dont have a winch or heavy bumper so wont be quite as bad for me as some. But I dont know if they will keep it level without spacing one side? At least I can buy them from the factory here which I can walk to from my house. ;)
I almost want to buy two pairs of coils with one 3" and the other 4" if I could find them both in the same spring rate!
the answer seems obvious add another 1" spacer:kissyou:.
are you talking about front and rear or just the fronts? what spring did you run previously (sping rate) and how did you like it. I assume you want a full coil with no spacer so that puts OME just out of the pic. at 4". i personally have never run RE but know a bunch of people that do and like them. from you site i'm also guessing that your not a speed demon or into hardcore rock crawlin so a slightly softer than usual spring might work nice.

skyjackedxj96 said:
what problmes you have with the LA upgrade from RE?

My problem is I don't like how they interfear with many rock sliders on the market. If I was to do LAs I'd get a Clayton's or another company out there that has arms with very high clearance.

Thanks for the comments. I dont mind running a bit of spacers but not the 3/4" difference left to right I have now. I do like to run a bit soft and as noted, I dont run that fast or rock crawl except for sitting for a few thousand kms at a time on gravel Outback roads.
I dont know what my current spring rate is as they were just some locally made springs to suit a TJ and the shop that sold them had no specs on them. So looks like the ARB ones are out and down to either RE or Rusty's. Anyone tell me their actual lift and if running a bumper or winch etc?

I'm at work and won't be home until Thursday. So I won't be able to measure, but I'm very pleased with my Rusty's 4.5 full spring pack lift. You could swap sides with your springs. Did you decide on your rear locker?

Last edited:
CoastieJ said:
I'm looking at the OME coils and springs for my 96 XJ w/ 4.0L. No winch or anything like that. With the 2.5" of lift they advertise, are they going to clear my 31x10.50 tires? What are you running? I also notice that they come in light, med, and heavy settings. Any suggestions? I don't mind paying more for the OME, I know it is quality.

I run them with 1" of spacer and 1" extra bumpstop and 31x10.5 BFG Mud Terrains on stock wheels. I think the light, med & heavy is for rear leaf springs. I run the 3" lift medium duty with the JCXL Add-a-leaf to increase spring load a little (I have a heavy rear - propane conversion). I trimmed the big plastic front bumper endcaps on my 98 to stop a bit of rubbing front to back (not lift height related). I sit at about 3.5" front and 3" rear.

I now have a winch but on Detours Backbone with synthetic rope the weight isn't big and springs haven't dropped any more.

I think OME is worth it for this height (2-3"), it rides nice with OME shocks. It's just a shame they don't do a bit bigger lift.

rustys higher rate 3" coils with a spacer. The higher rate will give allittle more height and combat any sagging issues. The regular rate ones are pretty soft, they havent sagged any on me but only gave approx 2.75" on a stock weight xj.

His 4.5 will give you more than advertised, so more than you are looking for.

RE 3.5 seem to give around 4-4.5, are quality, and deliver reasonable ride.

Cox89XJ said:
I'm at work and won't be home until Thursday. So I won't be able to measure, but I'm very pleased with my Rusty's 4.5 full spring pack lift. You could swap sides with your springs. Did you decide on your rear locker?
Funny thing is that I have the coils out a number of times and they measure the same when standing next to each other. It is just the extra weight of the batter and steering box etc that drops the RHS more once back in.
I ended up going for the full Detroit for the D44 rear and should be on the sea somewhere between LA and Melbourne. ;)

I’ve had my Rusty’s 4.5 full spring kit for one year now. The right front is 22 inches, left front 21 and three quarter, both backs are 21 and three quarters. So thats still at 4.5 inches. Got a Warn winch and bumper on the front and a quite a few tools in the back. You’ll like your rear Detroit. I had one in a CJ once. Wish I had one now.

Last edited:
Thanks for letting me know those measurements. Sounds like they will be too high for me and I have less weight in the front than you too. I noticed he sells 3" ones in either 150 lbs or 180 lb versions too. What is stock by the way as I thought they were around there some where? Mine came with Up Country so would be great to know those spring rates as well as stock.

Back