• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Window Weirdness

thewrath

NAXJA Forum User
got a 2000XJ limited with a power window problem. all windows work fine except for the front passenger window which will go down and not up. both the passenger and driver switch will make it go down, but neither will make it go up. i suspected loose connection on the swithes caused by a speaker upgrade a year ago, but that doesnt seem to be the case, the wires look like they are in excellent shape. i have the passenger door stripped down and i have disconnected the window motor. any kinda checking i can do at this point? any idea if i can apply some voltage directly to the power window motor and possibly get the window up? looked briefly at a wiring diagram and it seems that the motor might work on +V vs -V for up and down. hopefully it wont rain till i get this fixed.

Run a test wire from a known 12v source (like the battery). If the motor works, you have a problem with connections. If the motor doesn't work, you have a problem with the motor. That should narrow it down quite a bit.

If you have a problem with the connections, I usually start at the fuse box, and work my way out from there. Make sure the fuse isn't blown. Make sure you are getting 12V power to that fuse. Then follow the power source all the way out, checking for power at various locations.

and yes, you can and have to switch polarity to change the direction of the window motor...

if it only works in one direction with power straight to it, check the track for unusual play. it might jam the mechanism.
usually happens to older cars, though.

quick fix:

disconnect the window glass from the mechanism. push the window up and jam it closed from the inside with some cardboard into the rubber around the window or some duct tape...

worked fine with mine when the window motor seized...

There seems to be a common problem on the later year XJ's with the window safety switch on the drivers side switch panel. It seems that it causes problems with the operation of the passenger side window. I am getting ready to tackle the problem soon, as I have had the trouble for a while. The cause MAY be the same for you, but Im not positive. Ive played around with the switches long enough to know that the safety switch IS causing my problem. There are post's you can look up that may lead you to the light, just use the 'search' option available. There is a lot more there than I could tell you about right here. Good luck and remember, its a Jeep thing!

I had a 2002 Caravan Window stuck down (probably similar, if not the same mechanism). Just pulling the electric motor armature and cleaning the brushes/comutator got it working perfectly again. Its harder stripping down the door to get to the motor than taking the motor apart, its a pretty simple and neat setup.

so hotwiring the window motor worked perfectally. little battery to jumper cables connected to speaker wire connected to voltmeter probes right to the window motor, and she went right up. guess i gotta figure out of my switchs are working.

Back