• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 exhaust manifold

torfinn

NAXJA Forum User
I have a cracked exhaust manifold on my 89 XJ 4.0. I have looked for a replacement or a header. Most of the ones I have seen listed are for 91 and up. Why wont it fit? Are the bolt pattern for the manifolds different? I am aware that the 4.0 has changed during the years.

regards
Torfinn

Not sure what year they changed, but I know the angle of the down pipe is different on the newer style manifold compared to the one on my '88. Also, I think the oxygen sensor is in a different location on the exhaust system. It's a fun job, took most of a day to complete, good luck with this!!!

My brother had a cracked exhuast manifold on his '97 Wrangler, 4.0L I6. Actually it cracked so much that entire section of the exhaust manifold was falling out, near the collector at the base of the manifold.

We replaced it about 3 years ago with an ebay cheapo replacement, its been fine ever since. Its one of the ones with the bellows welded into the tubes to allow the expansion/contraction.

We got all new bolts and studs, as well, we sprayed penetrating oil on all the bolts and studs each day for a week before starting the job. We got all the bolt/studs out and without much trouble, but they were in bad shape, so all new bolts/studs was a good call.

The biggest difference in headers from the pre 91s to the 91+ is the EGR. There is an EGR tube that goes from the EGR valve to the manifold. There are aftermarket headers available for the earlier style Renix engine with the EGR boss on the header.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73552&highlight=banks+header
A big discussion had about a month ago on the $130 stainless headers you can find on the net. They actually didn't seem to be so bad. There's a lot of good pics in there.
THe info given above is correct, the EGR was deleted from the system in 91, whn Chrysler redesigned the injection electronics and the head. You could run a Renix without the EGR, but because of the head change I don't know if the 91+ manifolds will work. You'll also run into smog nazi issues

What would be the possibility for shipping a used one to Norway? I happen to have an 89 manifold, which as far as I know is all right. If you can figure out a way to get it there for less than the whole thing is worth, you can have it for the cost of shipping. I am not at home right now, and won't be for about a week, so there would be some delay as well. But if there is no other option for getting hold of another, it might be worth considering.

You can PM me if you wish to pursue. I'll try not to forget to check for new messages.

ETA I almost forgot to mention that I'm located in Vermont, USA when I'm home.

scca28 said:
Not sure what year they changed, but I know the angle of the down pipe is different on the newer style manifold compared to the one on my '88. Also, I think the oxygen sensor is in a different location on the exhaust system. It's a fun job, took most of a day to complete, good luck with this!!!

Do you have a reccomendation for a dealer for an exhaust manifold for the 88 XJ?

I have an 88 that blew it's original manifold just recently.

Back