• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 Cherokee, Drivers Door will not open

gmcelroy

NAXJA Forum User
I have the door panel off...have pulled on every lever I can reach and the door will not open....the handle from the outside will not open it either...you cannot lock/unlock with the door key....Any tips on how to fix/resolve??
Thanks much

This happened on one XJ in the family a few years ago. Some little internal part in the latch mechanism failed and it wouldn't unlock. The connecting rods in the door didn't work. I finally got it to open by pushing and pulling on various bits of the latch mechanism itself. It then worked again until I foolishly tried locking and unlocking it and I had to do it all over again. I think you'll just have to keep poking at it until you find the right part.

Get ahold of the rod from the inside door handle that locks the door with a pair of vise grips and slide it back and forth after spraying the mechanism down with PB'Laster or similar (has to be stronger than WD40!) then try again. That usually works for me.

Back