• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 on 5&1/2 rear D44

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
I need to change my rear D44 axles and rotors ('88 XJ) to 5 on 5&1/2. My current axle flanges measure out at 6"--not big enough to re drill . The ID of the rotor "hat" is also 6", so I'll need to get rid of those as well. Does any one know of a 5 on 5&1/2 rotor that's approximately 1" thick (match my Caddy calipers) with a Hat ID large enough to fit over a D44 axle flange with 5 on 5&1/2 wheel bolt pattern?

I bought this D44 axle assembly complete with the GM small caliper discs already installed a number of years ago---didn't think to get the particulars at the time--I was a real newbie then. So I don't know what kit was used. I'm not positive the axle is out of an XJ, either, but think it is.
My current rotors are only 10-1/4". The caliper bracket is a single peace bolted to the axle using 3 of the 4 axle bearing retainer bolts.
I'd like to find a stock rotor that's 5 on 5.5, that's close enough in the other dimensions that minimal professional machine work is required to work.
Thanks for the interest

You can buy chromoly Superior shafts setup for 5 on 5.5 if its a stock TJ/XJ/MJ housing, I just got a set, and if you look around, youll find them for around 300. (with new bearings, bearing retainers, studs, axle retainer plates and seals). You CAN redrill the hat, provided the axle flange fits inside (Superiors will, great design, kind of has a "stepped design" to provide enough meat to secure the studs. The machine shop that I had press on th the bearings broke two studs trying to pull them through because of the hardness of the 4340 heat treated flange. All they could say was "DAMN!!"), even though it looks like you cant.

Jslamerman, do you know the OD of the axle flange of your 5 on 5.5 Superior axles?
My current rotors do have a second 5-bolt pattern that may be on a 5.5 circle. Once I saw how small the hat ID is, I didn't spend a lot of time trying to determine the actual pattern. My measurement are approximations, because the rotors are rusted solid to the axle flanges, and I didn't want to "take it to the next level" at this time.
Good info on pressing in the studs--sounds like a job for a press mightier than your typical home-brew press (like mine).

Its assembled already. I know this is an issue that Superior had several years ago when they first started supplying 5 on 5.5 shafts for D44s that were for Rubis with stock disc brakes. The flange had to be put in a lathe to fit into the hat, or, have the inside diameter of the hat turned down slightly so that the hat would sit flat on the flange. It was that close. The new design has a step design, so that the stock rotor will sit flat on the flange, and there is enough meat to hold the studs firmly in place.

Back