• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive shaft woes.....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok, I toasted yet another rear shaft today. Its not axle wrap doing it any more it is the shaft getting creased on rocks bc its sooooo damn long.... Then it pretzles usually into two pieces b4 it is noticed.... Would a .25 wall tube for a shaft stop this? I saw some square shafts today and discussed this with motorman but I really don't want to join the square shaft club... Don't say get a higher pinion bc I like my 9" and will eventually get a TruHi9 once I win the lottery down here..... So is it on to 1/4 or 3/8's wall?

i'd stay away from square if you drive it on the road at all. near impossible to balance.
that being said i have a friend with a TJ that runs a square shaft made from hitch receiver tubing. super heavy-duty and a full-length slip-yoke. vibes like hell on the road but it lives on a trailer otherwise.

No one has any experience here?

Thicker wall driveshaft tubing is a good thing. I got a .250 wall shaft from High Angle Driveline. So far so good and I've taken some good hits on it too. My first shaft was .080 or .120 tubing, I had it retubed 2 times for rock carnage.

Will the thicker wall kill my 4 popper?

Back