• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

800 miles from Winterfest

flexjay87

NAXJA Forum User
so i drive over to WF and rack up 800 miles. at the badlands my jeep died twice but started right back up. i figured that was a bad sign,(it never dies) but i made it all the way back home. a few days go by and i drive to the store (about 3 mi.) and the jeep dies. takes me about 1/2 hour to get it running. i felt lucky to get back home. it would start, but run really rough with no power at all. touch the pedal and it would die right away and sometimes "backfire". it did this several time before it finally started right up and got me home, weird to say the least. '87,4.0. btw, fuel pump, and filter have been replaced less than 10k ago, and ballast wires are on, plugs, wires, and cap are good. i suspect electrical problem but am not sure where to start? any ideas would be appreciated.

flexjay87 said:
yeah, i dont know if that thing has ever been changed. is it something i could ckeck with a meter, or is it just a good idea to change it?
Ohm reading should be 200 ohms +/- 75 between terminals A B.

i may have found the problem. i first checked the cps and it ohmed out fine. so i unplugged the tps connector and checked for the 5.0 volts and it was good also. then i noticed that one of the pins inside the connector was way crooked! so i tried to straighten it out a little and it is running ok so far. weird thing is i have never had that sensor unplugged before, so who knows how long it has been a problem waiting to happen? i may bypass that part of the connector if it continues to give me problems. like Langer has said before, you should check things before you go replacing them at random.

Back