• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfere case linkage

reddragon72

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a question that has not been covered in anypost anywhere, donr did the search thing. I have a 94 jeep auto 4speed overdrive tranny(don't know which one, never looked it up) and a 231 transfere case. There is a bar that runs fron the tanny to the undecarage that is a pivot point for the linkage, on the top the link from the selector inside and on the bottom is the linkage that goes to the tansfercase. The bar slides through the part that the linkage all attaches to, on mine it seems to be stuck on that bar that runs from the tanny to the undercarrage. Is that normal? I took it out today and looked at it and the linkage part is not welded to the bar on either end, what my problem is is I hit something and tweaked my crossmember and it cased the linkage to diconnect. when I was fixing it that is when I noticed that the linkage is sorta stuck, but not welded to the pivot bar, and I'm wondering if that is right. I figured it should be loose and not attavhed to that pivot bar, but I could be wrong. I'm going to call the dealership to see if thye can pull the part and look at it. It should be seperated in my opinoin tostop stuff thike that from happening. Anyone know if theres is like that?

im not sure that i completly understand your question but I can tell you the bar than goes from the tranny to the bracket on the body all pivots with the linkage. There is a bushing on the tranny side that the bar snaps into and a bushing on the body side that the bar just rides in. The arms that the two linkage rods connects to is not sopposed to rotate around the horizonal bar, they are all one piece.

I hope that helped
Hayden

That's what i was looking for. Yea the bar that the link rides on is all one piece on mine as well, but it is not wielded on either end so it is odd that it doesn't slid aross that bar. What happened was I have a TC lowering kit that includes a bracket that lowers that bar so it is not at an angle. Well I tweaked the cross member and now the TC is not where it ussually sets, altho it did not move much, but the nature of that lowering bracket causes the whole link that goes to the hand selector inside the cab to shift up against the bracket kicking that link to the hand part out of the bracket and not allowing it to be resetted. I took out that lowering brack and bent the link part that goes to the hand part over so it is clear of everything, and this will work till I get the new crossmember. But thanks for let me know that that is how the link is built.

Back