• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cv driveshaft question

winchell182

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i'm getting my SYE installed soon on my 89' cherokee.

But was wondering, can a shop use my old rear driveshaft and make it have the cv joint or do I have to buy a new one and order it from like tom woods or something?

A shop might be able to cut and retube your stock shaft to put the double-cardan joint on the end, but they're probably going to charge you nearly what a new shaft will run...

Yucca-Man said:
A shop might be able to cut and retube your stock shaft to put the double-cardan joint on the end, but they're probably going to charge you nearly what a new shaft will run...

Yes they will. Already asked a shop. Those 1310 CV joints are over $100 and they would have to put a slip yoke in. Basic ly you would have a brand new shaft with your old tubes at around $250-$300. My 98 front shaft cost $15 from the u-pull yard. I bought one from a parts yard out of a 99 for $70.

Was just trying to save some cash but if it's around the same price I'll buy a new DS so ,yea thinking I might just order one. I have heard that I can call and depending on the size left I have, they pretty much have the specs for the length. My cherokee already has a 4.5" lift, BUT the prev owner tried to do it himself and it is crap! So I'm installing a RE 4.5" within next 2 weeks to replace the crap install job.

I have the PORC sye kit, just pulled my t-case yesterday.

Question about after SYE install and reinstalling the front/rear shafts:
History: Now my rear DS had fell out and snapped off of the rear axel while driving. I see on my axel there are 2 clips, 1 is still there, the other broke off. Should I replace both those? Also I need a new U-joint. I have a napa 210-0153 U-joint in a box,hoping that will be just fine.

Do these need greasing? How and what kind of grease is needed?
Finally, ANYthing else needed when reattaching the rear DS?
I'm hoping this will be driveable once the t-case and shafts are reconnected and dont want to miss something.

thanks

Is it an auto?If it is then you can use a stock size front shaft in the rear with out modifications or
if you have a 5 speed.
Get yourself a used front double cardan shaft and take it to your local driveline shop and have them retube it to your length you need and use it in the rear.....it should cost you around 80.00....mine works great.

If you need a front ds to have modified I have one here I'll sell you for $25.00 you pay shipping from 43125.

Back