• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 MJ, Is it worth it?

feerocknok

NAXJA Forum User
My dad's friend is willing to sell me his '87 MJ for $200.
It's 4WD and has the 2.5 Litre.

Apparently, it has a bad torque converter in the automatic transmission, but he also has a manual transmission with it.
He couldn't figure out how to get the manual in, so he just wants it off his hands now.

Is it worth finding a torque converter and throwing it in, or is the manual swap possible? Is the 2.5 worth using?

The 4.0L swap would be a better choice...the 2.5L is a dog, but '87 was the first year for the 4.0L and you can either go with the AW-4 or the mid-89-later 5-speed AX-15 behind it.

I like the 4.0L alot, but it doesn't seem too budget friendly.
Would fitting a 4.0L up myself be costly? What about a torque converter?

Find a wrecked one and swap it in. It's much more durable and the 4.0L is very common through the Cherokee and even Wrangler line although the YJ/TJ didn't get the AW-4 automatic.

If by 'budget friendly' you are thinking of gas mileage then don't worry about it; 4-cyl and 6-cyl Jeeps get almost the same mileage regardless of the engine, but the 6-cyl actually has enough grunt to do something.

I hear ya on the grunt. I know a guy that's busted two 9"s with that 6.

Was thinking about the actual cost of the engine.
It is possible to put whatever manual up to that, right?

If the body is in any decent shape on that MJ, buy it regardless of how it runs. Jeep engines are so plentiful compared to MJ bodies, you'll be able to make it work with a variety of options.

Sounds good. Gonna run up to see it tonight.
Now if there was only a way to get rid of that uniframe...

Thanks for all the help already!

Sounds like a good deal. I'd go for it.

As for swapping the engine it's not that easy and cheap as you may think. You'll need to aquire the wiring harness and ECU for the 4.0L as well as the motor itself.

Personally I'd take the manual transmission and install it too. Go buy a new clutch rather than a torque convertor, yank the automatic and get the manual installed. This will give you a cool afforable MJ truck with more usable power for cheaper $$$ and without alot of headache.

If you find it needs more guts then go sell it for profit. Then go buy one that has the 4.0L and the automatic so you can relax while the powerful 4.0L is taking care of your shifting. I think you 'll find this solution cheaper and more enjoyable in the long run. Good luck on closing the deal!

Last edited:
Talked to my dad more, and the guy living behind me will give me his '90 XJ for free, but it has a bad 4.0L, no trans or t-case.
Still has a perfect body and axles, more than enough for redneck me!

I'm getting super stoked!

Sound like you got all you ducks in a row. Your now got enough parts to do whatever you what. Time and reading the manual forgiving.

Now you gotta figure if you want a manual or an automantic with that 4.0L motor. If you go manual make sure you aquire the clutch brake assembly. Also get a Factory service manual and your all set for whatever you want to do.

feerocknok said:
Talked to my dad more, and the guy living behind me will give me his '90 XJ for free, but it has a bad 4.0L, no trans or t-case.
Still has a perfect body and axles, more than enough for redneck me!

I'm getting super stoked!

I am parting my 90 Laredo...I6 and AW4 has 140k miles. Click for details http://www.naxja.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3803&sort=1&cat=2&page=4

I'm looking for $500USD or so for both. I'm approx 800miles or so away at Sweetgrass, MT border. A ton of good parts on it you might be interested in. PM me.

feerocknok said:
Sounds good. Gonna run up to see it tonight.
Now if there was only a way to get rid of that uniframe...

Thanks for all the help already!

That uniframe is stout! It is built stronger than the XJ chassis, and has higher load ratings than any other compact or midsize truck from its era. Don't knock it 'til you try it.

I'm still wearry of the design, after seeing a buddy wreck his MJ on the dunes.

Would a junkyard be a good place to find a torque converter? Curious what they run.

Last edited:
The torque converter may be harder to find than you think. They didn't put a whole heck of a lot of AW-4s behind the 2.5L. But the good news is that you most likely have 4.56 gears in your axles. I'm a manual trans guy myself, so I'd put more effort into getting an AX-5 and the parts needed to convert the truck. MJ/XJ AX-5s are everywhere. Avoid the YJ AX-5 though, they are slightly different. Try car-part.com for junkyard searching.

How did he wreck his MJ? Do you have any pictures?

Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

The Automatic behind the 2.5 wasn't an AW4 was it? It was some much less common trans in 86 for sure, and I don't know if they changed that in 87. I was lucky enough to find one for my 2.5 XJ rebuilt for only a few hundred bucks.

What makes you think its the torque conveter? I can think of a lot of things than can go wrong with an automatic before the torque converter...

Yup, AW-4. The auto trans for 86 was the 3 speed 904, but in 87 they recieved the 4 speed AW-4.
Jeep on!
--Pete

For $200.00 even if you have to pay $800.00 for a wreck with everything you need to swap it out to the 4.0L you'll still have a nice truck for a grand and some work.
And that sounds like a good deal to me.
Go for it.

73's KG4BET

Pete M said:
Yup, AW-4. The auto trans for 86 was the 3 speed 904, but in 87 they recieved the 4 speed AW-4.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Actually, both were available that year. I have a core 904 auto from an early 88 Cherokee 4 cyl (still had the Renix TBI too!) The flexplate is rare to find for the 3 speed auto with EFI too. I saved that stuff to try and sell (big swapmeet tomorrow in Puyallup, WA, but I forgot to get the tabs for my delivery van!)

Back