• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockrite repair.

XJSpencer

NAXJA Member #1400
How do you do the spring and pin replacement? Is there some trick to this? Do I remove the carrier and keep track of shims etc?

Thanks. Searching yielded nothing but where to buy the kit.

do one spring and pin at a time, turn the diff a bit and repeat till you did them all, you should be able to do this without taking it apart.
Randys Ring and pinion has the kits for about $12, you have to call them.
passxj said:
How do you do the spring and pin replacement? Is there some trick to this? Do I remove the carrier and keep track of shims etc?

Thanks. Searching yielded nothing but where to buy the kit.

mack said:
do one spring and pin at a time, turn the diff a bit and repeat till you did them all, you should be able to do this without taking it apart.
Randys Ring and pinion has the kits for about $12, you have to call them.

This may seem simple but, How do you remove the pins? They don't just fall out. I tried to get them out.......A little.

use a small pick, they have a spring behind them.
passxj said:
This may seem simple but, How do you remove the pins? They don't just fall out. I tried to get them out.......A little.

passxj said:

Want me to make time tomorrow to try and help out? Done a few lockrites.

you have to pull the lock-rite out to get the pins out, remove axles, remove the lockrite springs,remove the carrier center pin, slide pins in all the way to one half of the lockrite, remove that half, pull pins out and put back together in reverse order with the new pins and springs

mack said:
use a small pick, they have a spring behind them.

I got the springs out and the pins don't seem to come out without pulling the carrier. Is that right?

I'd love help 0313. PM your number.

I think to get the center pin out, I think I have to remove the ring gear. Is that right?

I'm going out to mess with it soon. I'm assuming that the gears will be okay if I assemble everything how it was....

passxj said:
I got the springs out and the pins don't seem to come out without pulling the carrier. Is that right?

I'd love help 0313. PM your number.

I think to get the center pin out, I think I have to remove the ring gear. Is that right?

I'm going out to mess with it soon. I'm assuming that the gears will be okay if I assemble everything how it was....
you could try to use a magnet to slide the pins over to where you can get them out. May have to use a little brake cleaner to to free them up.

xjoe said:
you could try to use a magnet to slide the pins over to where you can get them out. May have to use a little brake cleaner to to free them up.

They fit through that oval hole?

you have to remove the lockrite in order to get the pins out, there is no other way to do it, unless the ring gear is preventing the removal of the center pin, you should not have to remove the carrier. if the ring gear prevents removing the center pin then you will have to pull the carrier

Fullsizexj said:
you have to remove the lockrite in order to get the pins out, there is no other way to do it, unless the ring gear is preventing the removal of the center pin, you should not have to remove the carrier. if the ring gear prevents removing the center pin then you will have to pull the carrier
That's what I thought. Oh well, I'm going to pull it now.

Thanks Fullsizexj.

I did it. Thanks for all the help. It is tighter now. The noise in my front end was not coming from the lockrite.(i hope) Oh well....try try again. It was nice to get to know the front end on a more personal level.

passxj said:
I did it. Thanks for all the help. It is tighter now. The noise in my front end was not coming from the lockrite.(i hope) Oh well....try try again. It was nice to get to know the front end on a more personal level.

Oops, I guess if I offer I should check back to see if you wanted help. My bad :D

Back