• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SOMETHING SHAKING UNDER MY CAR WHEN I HIT BUMPS

joey99jb

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport (3" lift, 31" tires, 5spd manual) and I notice that when I go over bumps in the road I can hear and feel something shaking under my car. I can only describe it as some type of cannister that rattles whenever I hit bumps in the road. Has anyone else had this problem before? I ahd the same problem with my 98 Cherokee Sport.

What have people done to fix this problem?

Well, first the obvious...take a good look at everything under....grab and pull and push....but...it sounds like it might be your catalytic converter 'bricks' braking up. Does it do it on start up? Very common problem....but check everything first! YOu don't want to drop something critical off at the curb!
Rick R:sunshine:

My catalytic converter is a Hi-Flo Magnaflow Cat. I have the Dynomax SuperTurbo setup. This exhaust was installed about 2 months ago. When you say that the catalytic is "brecking" does that mean that its breaking in?
Maybe you are right and I ahve to somehow secure it better...

Not braking in, I am not familiar with your cat. Mine are stock, and the stock ones are known for the ceramic walls or sometimes called bricks, falling apart. Wlhen they fall apart they rattle quite a bit, especially at start up...
I don't think that is your problem now.....keep looking!
Ric R:sunshine:

joey99jb said:
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport (3" lift, 31" tires, 5spd manual) and I notice that when I go over bumps in the road I can hear and feel something shaking under my car. I can only describe it as some type of cannister that rattles whenever I hit bumps in the road. Has anyone else had this problem before? I ahd the same problem with my 98 Cherokee Sport.

What have people done to fix this problem?

We know what your XJ is, but about this car you are talking about, we need more info.

You can chase these things forever. My bet would be the tailpipe hitting the tanks heatshield or the shackle. I'm a rattle hunter. It does get better with lots of work.

Ive had a shock loosen up. the bushings on the top mount were bad and it rattled at the slightest bump. also the cat. heat shield tack welds will break. Ive also the exaust pipe/shackle tinging thing, cured it with a sawz-all cut just before the leaf to shackle bolt. That was also a 3" lift on a 96. Or just invest a couple grand on a thumping sterio and shake every thing loose

Back