• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locked and snow?

Jump This

Just another minion!
Hey, I live in the desert....and we don't get snow out here, but its snowing like a mad dog up the hill and I need to test out the MTR's in the snow, but isn't doing the snow thing with full time locked front and rears kinda' iffy?
Isn't it?
Rick R:sunshine:

I'd be more worried about 'black ice' patches on the road. . . plenty of room for a snafu there. . . .

Yeah if you're locked full time in the front on snow you will turn your wheel as far as you want and still keep going straight forward... bad idea... sounds like it's time for lock in/out hubs to me.

LilRedRover said:
Yeah if you're locked full time in the front on snow you will turn your wheel as far as you want and still keep going straight forward... bad idea... sounds like it's time for lock in/out hubs to me.

Not really, the same basic driving rules apply to front drive compacts as 4WDs that are locked in the front.
,Ron

don't know what front wheel drive cars you are driving but they are limited slip and transfer power to keep those things from happening... if you have a locked vehicle you're going to be getting either 50-50 or 100-0 with the 100 percent power going to the wrong tire. I had a detroit front and rear and it was IMPOSSIBLE to drive in snow.

Rick,

Growing up in New York and having driven in more than my share of snow storms... BE CAREFUL......
IF you have never driven in snow before with front and rear locked....; it will be a learning curve....
Keep the speed down, no fast movements when steering and ensure to keep double to distance you think you need for stopping....
Take it easy and have fun....

Charles

LilRedRover said:
don't know what front wheel drive cars you are driving but they are limited slip and transfer power to keep those things from happening... if you have a locked vehicle you're going to be getting either 50-50 or 100-0 with the 100 percent power going to the wrong tire. I had a detroit front and rear and it was IMPOSSIBLE to drive in snow.

It's all style. I've never had problems. My last Jeep had a lock-rite F/R and my present Jeep has a Lock-rite front and stock LSD in back.

Rick, find a nice open parking lot to practice in. Traction in 4WD is a deceiver. It is my bet that you will find the MTRs up to the task and combined with the Locked F/R you will be able to go just about any speed you want. Just remember, that you have to stop, and stopping a 4WD all locked up is exactly what does not happen when you panic. You will find in time that pointing into a turn and punching the gas will save you more often than slamming on the brakes and hoping you stop before you hit a tree in the apex of the turn.
The advice to take it easy untill you have it mastered is excellent.

Zuki-Ron said:
It's all style. I've never had problems. My last Jeep had a lock-rite F/R and my present Jeep has a Lock-rite front and stock LSD in back.

Rick, find a nice open parking lot to practice in. Traction in 4WD is a deceiver. It is my bet that you will find the MTRs up to the task and combined with the Locked F/R you will be able to go just about any speed you want. Just remember, that you have to stop, and stopping a 4WD all locked up is exactly what does not happen when you panic. You will find in time that pointing into a turn and punching the gas will save you more often than slamming on the brakes and hoping you stop before you hit a tree in the apex of the turn.
The advice to take it easy untill you have it mastered is excellent.

Agreed totally... practice makes perfect, but I wouldn't pick a windy road to practice :)

I'm thinking I prob won't even put it into four wheel unless I need to.
My gawd its snowing like crazy up the hill from me!!
I gotta' go into Palm Springs in the morning to pick up a bumper and some other crap, when I get home, if it has cleared up (maybe not by tomarrow) I'm heading up to the mountains with some innertubes and see if I can damage myself!!
Thanks for the info!
You see....I live in the desert.....
Rick R:sunshine:

Thoes who say you cant drive in snow or ice with an auto locker are full of crap or they cant drive. I NEVER had a problem with my old lockrite in the front of my XJ and driving in snow/icy conditions. Find a big empty parking lot and screw around for a while and you will learn how it handles. You cant go fast into a turn and expect to make it regardless if the front is locked or not. Also steering and throttleing out will provide better results than braking hard and praying you stop in time. Put it in 4 wheel and go, just remember you suck just like everybody else at stoping :D

AARON

Big parking lot??? What are those???
The closest big parking lot that has snow on it is....well.....200mi away!!
I'm just going out and using my head....sounds like its going to be fun!
Rick R
:sunshine:
and who says I stop as bad as everyone else??? I can find rocks faster than most!!
:shocked:

I live in the desert but Im from colorado.

Just being locked in the rear in snow or slick roads you end up driving sideways in 4wheel and locked forget about it.

I drove in the snow going to vegas on 160 last year and when I hit the snow
I almost turned around.

Every time I gave it a little gas going up the hill I was side ways and heading for the ditch.

youd be better off putting those on a stock 4x4 and testing them

Back