• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ coils

LilRedRover

NAXJA Forum User
Alright well I searched and read a bunch of posts, but never really found what I was looking for, so here goes.

I am a big fan of the Rubicon Express parts in general and have been doing a little reading. According to their website the 5.5 inch lifts, whether short or long arm, come with 4.5 in zj coils. Is that just a mess up by their staff or is it right. If right, why does it net more lift in an XJ? i.e stiffer, longer, both. Next question is for anyone who has used 4.5 inch RE zj coils. How much lift did they actually net and how did they ride?

The kits come with those springs. The ZJ coils are stiffer than XJ coils,thus providing more lift. I run the 4.5" ZJ coils with no spacer, I even removed the stock isolater, and they are plenty enough for 35's. Of course after fender trimming and bumpstops.

I run the XJ 5.5" (ZJ 4.5") with a 3/4" coil spacer in front. It is a perfect match to my rear RE (supposedly) 3.5" leafs with a RRO 1.5" lift shackle. It is a good height with 35's. bump stops and trimming required of course.

Picture043.jpg

Shawn

flash_gordon said:
I run the XJ 5.5" (ZJ 4.5") with a 3/4" coil spacer in front. It is a perfect match to my rear RE (supposedly) 3.5" leafs with a RRO 1.5" lift shackle. It is a good height with 35's. bump stops and trimming required of course.

Picture043.jpg

Shawn

I run the ZJ coils without spacers, and the RE 4.5" pack with the Teraflex 1.5" shackles. If you add a rear tire carrier, and a bunch of gear in the back, you'll be sitting nose up.

LilRedRover said:
Alright well I searched and read a bunch of posts, but never really found what I was looking for, so here goes.

I am a big fan of the Rubicon Express parts in general and have been doing a little reading. According to their website the 5.5 inch lifts, whether short or long arm, come with 4.5 in zj coils. Is that just a mess up by their staff or is it right. If right, why does it net more lift in an XJ? i.e stiffer, longer, both. Next question is for anyone who has used 4.5 inch RE zj coils. How much lift did they actually net and how did they ride?

I don't have any experience w/ RE ZJ coils, but here is my .02. I ran stock ZJ coils up front and it gave me about an inch. I cut down a main leaf in back to complete my BB. You should not be concerned with lift. If you are looking at a RE 4.5-5.5 get what ever length lift coils you need.

ZJ springs are stiffer. If you have a winch and stuff up front, XJ coils might be too soft. Also if you carry a lot of gear and get their heavy duty leafs, then you will not have a very balanced spring rate front to rear. You are buying lift by getting longer coils, think about what spring rate you want.

Yeah I know all about the spring rate and stiffness, that is why I asked if they were longer or just stiffer... I am looking for a stiffer spring in the front b/c of heavy bumper and winch up front. I carry my spare tire about mid roof on my rack so the weight is distributed fairly evenly overall. I do carry some spare parts and tools in the back, but I am guessing it is less than 100 lbs all together. My plan is to run 4.5 zj coils and 4.5 in rock krawler leaves and boomerang shackles. I am hoping to net about 5.5 front and rear with all the weight taken into account.

Matt98XJ Quote:
Originally Posted by flash_gordon

Shawn

I run the ZJ coils without spacers, and the RE 4.5" pack with the Teraflex 1.5" shackles. If you add a rear tire carrier, and a bunch of gear in the back, you'll be sitting nose up.
That pic is with the spare tire in back. I will be adding a winch up front and that should bring the front down a tad bit. The rear leafs seam really tall to me.....?

LilRedRover said:
I am looking for a stiffer spring in the front b/c of heavy bumper and winch up front. My plan is to run 4.5 zj coils and 4.5 in rock krawler leaves and boomerang shackles. I am hoping to net about 5.5 front and rear with all the weight taken into account.

That sounds like a good plan. I personaly liked the stiffer springs. It was just right. Not too hard. If I had more weight up front it would have landed me back around stock. Have fun

flash_gordon said:
That pic is with the spare tire in back. I will be adding a winch up front and that should bring the front down a tad bit. The rear leafs seam really tall to me.....?

Yeah the added weight up front will help. My 4.5" spring pack is only about 4 months old, and they already seem to sag. I have a heavy winch bumper, and winch up front, but yet the ZJ coils still level things out with the 4.5 pack and the longer shackle.

sweet... you have confirmed what I thought and that is good... I found today an awesome deal on rock krawler coils, about 50 bucks less than RE... anyone ran those. Does the same apply to RK zj springs?

LilRedRover said:
Does the same apply to RK zj springs?
We'll let you in on a little secret, m'kay? TJ, ZJ, and XJ springs are all the same size. XJ springs on a TJ will net them about 1.5" lift, while V8 ZJ springs on an XJ will give about an inch. From there, you do the math.

Hey thanks for being such a dick about it yucca man... obviously some of us just aren't as cool as you and spend our lives doing this stuff... it's a hobby for me, I have a life and family so sorry I don't know as much as you do. Big thumbs up buddy.

geeez. i usually deal with and expect these snappy responses with a forum full of catalog engineers, but that one is just plain rude and for no real good reason. did you just say m'kay? i think you should really be humpin your girlfriend more often and less time in front of your pc. im not so sure your post is even right about the coils. i found 3 or 4 xj's in my local yard that carried different #'s, wraps, and thicknesses depending on engine, package, etc i guess.

wender said:
geeez. i usually deal with and expect these snappy responses with a forum full of catalog engineers, but that one is just plain rude and for no real good reason. did you just say m'kay? i think you should really be humpin your girlfriend more often and less time in front of your pc. im not so sure your post is even right about the coils. i found 3 or 4 xj's in my local yard that carried different #'s, wraps, and thicknesses depending on engine, package, etc i guess.

Here we go.

holy draggin up an old thread

Back