• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS Wiring NEED HELP!!!

Project_MudXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im a little on the shallow end of the pool when it comes to electric systems and wiring. I know a little like how to cut, solder, extend and simple junk like that. Anyways, I need to wire up my NSS to simulate it being in Park/Neutral for my Manual transmission. The reason being because I swapped out my AW4 for a manual transmission. This is the last piece before I am finished.

Heres what it says in the Sticky - Download at www.JeepForum.com about the wires:

Connector Terminals
B + C have continuity in Park + Neutral
A + E have continuity in Reverse
A + G have continuity in 3rd
A + H have continuity in 1st and 2nd

I was told by one guy that I could just cut and solder wires B and C to make it work. He also had a hangover and said he might be wrong. If its the case, where do I put the NSS? There is no spot to put it on my Manual Transmission. He also said to leave the other wires alone because it controls the reverse lights, which makes sense. Im just not sure, but I need help quick because I need my XJ runnin quick. I posted this in OEM as well because I need help super fast. Thanks

If you search for NSS bybass in the OEM Tech Discussion section you should fine what you are looking for. I am guess you would need to wired a seperate switch for backup lights somehow.

kscherokee said:
If you search for NSS bybass in the OEM Tech Discussion section you should fine what you are looking for.
Now why would that be? Because the same poster asked the same question in multiple NAXJA forums? :shocked:

twardozrally said:
I believe on mine if you are standing on the passenger side of the rig, on the starter relay it is the bottom-most bolt on the side towards the fron of the vehicle. I found that out on accident while I was testing to see why the starter wouldn't work.

here's the chunk from the FSM (mines and 88 but I believe they are still very close). The wire next to the 'A' in the diagram is the one to ground.
jeep-66.jpg

Ok so this is like reading Japanese upside down for me.

Also, I have a wire harness hangin on the side of my tranny, my reverse lights. I need to figure out a way to hook this up. Any ideas?

Matthew Currie said:
On the manual transmission, the backup light switch should be located somewhere on the transmission. It screws into the side somewhere, like a plug. It's likely still there, since without it your transmission would have a hole in it that would leak. It may have terminals on it or it may have a wire pigtail with a connector, depending on the transmission you have. On an AX-15 it's on the passenger side, but it appears from the drawings I've seen that AX 5's and BA 10's have it on the left hand side.

I personally would find the switch that works with your tranny and hook up the correct wires since you know which ones they are already.

Back