• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Size DD??

IcedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey what is the most lift you would suggest on a DD rig with a V8 in it?

crap i had to add this in.

axle wise would you go full size front and rear (as an axle swap is necessary for this V8).

Last edited:
Not sure how big you would want to go...I guess that's what it depends on.

Mine will be on full width axles (HP-44/9") with 35's in the not to distant future. And it will be driven very often on the road.

You are asking for trouble rolling full-width in the Bay Area. You will need some very significant flares to cover the tires, or risk a lot of tickets.

Why is an axle swap necessary for your V-8 swap?

CRASH said:
You are asking for trouble rolling full-width in the Bay Area. You will need some very significant flares to cover the tires, or risk a lot of tickets.

Why is an axle swap necessary for your V-8 swap?

That's about the only good thing about living in FL I guess...you can put pretty much anything in any condition on the road.

Exactly. 1980's-vintage 350's had about 150 hp.

I will be going with a 347, hp44, and 14 bolt with 36's and 6-8 inches of lift over the summer. Even though some of the older v8's are only rated for 150 hp, i still would not trust them with the dana 35. I broke the carrier in my dana 35 playing in the mud with a 115 hp 2.8, 32's and an open rearend.

okay it is a totally rebuilt and built up 360 AMC.

Well see I am in Cali now, but I go out to Indiana and I am going to be wheelin pretty much every weekend if not every other. Full size axles would be fine, cops can kiss it. I am just wondering for a DD (gas mileage not a big issue came to terms with that) where the max amount of suggest lift is.

a lot also depends on your driving style. Several XJs I wheel with run 8 inch LA setups with very little body roll, and vice versa one with 5.5 inches does have a lot. For a DD I would say staying around the 4-6 inch range would keep you relatively safe with being driven correctly, but still let you have a lot of freedom with tire size... i.e. 35s probably. IMO you can never go wrong with full width axles. HP44 and 9 inch would be great... HP44 and 60 would be great... If coverage is an issue get some rustys bulge fenders and modify them bigger. It's not rocket science to use fiberglass or mining belt.

I would say go with a major brand MT such as goodyear MTR or BFG MT... I even have a buddy running the Cooper SSR, they look a lot like the MTR to me. Since it's daily driven I would stay away from the swamper b/c of noise and softness of rubber, causing fast wear.

Well I was thinking of Kumho. I used those before and I had nails screws all of them and still held air...loved them, they are cheap. But never did I really huse them hard off road.

I know of two rigs that run kumho MTs and they are both tanks... one has 35s and the other 33s. Both of those guys love them and If I'm not mistaken I think kumho has redesigned the tread pattern and they now look very similar to an Xterrain or Claw.

LilRedRover said:
IMO you can never go wrong with full width axles.......If coverage is an issue get some rustys bulge fenders and modify them bigger. It's not rocket science to use fiberglass or mining belt.

This may be the quote of the year.

Back