• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken radiator filler neck

John90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Friend at work has a '92 XJ, 4.0, with a plastic tanked radiator. The filler neck is plastic and has on it a molded fitting for the coolant overflow hose. The fitting is partially broken off and there is about 3/16" sticking out. This is barely enough contact area for the hose clamp to bite into to hold the hose on.

Has anyone had a problem with this part breaking off and how did you resolve it? I'm thinking about sleeving it somehow or adding a fitting after drilling out the hole and removing the broken part. Replacing the radiator is an option but there is nothing wrong with the existing one, except for the above problem.

Any bright ideas?

While I haven't had this particular experience, I have (in different situations) had very good luck with plastic epoxy. If it were mine, I would definately give it a try with repairing the old one (assuming you have the broken-off piece available . . . . . or, as you suggest, a sleeving or drill-and-adapt approach. I'd give one of these options a try. Good luck! Don Becker

Take it to a radiator shop and have them replace that tank.

I will hazard a guess at $50 or less, if it's JUST replacing the tank end.

However, if it were MY XJ, I would take this opportunity to have the radiator "boiled out" by the rad. shop, so as to restore it's cooling capacity to the design limit.

This would be prudent, given the XJ's very sensitive cooling system. After all, taking the rad out is 90% of the hassle here.

Back