• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vacuum reservoir

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
read alot of posts about a/c related problems from vacuum leaks but just wondering if there are any more problems that can be caused. yesterday i was driving and the reservoir fell off. was in traffic and going pretty fast(also was late for work) so stopping to get it wasnt an option. so far all i've noticed is that the a/c will blow out of the defroster sometime but will it cause any other problems until i can replace it? its on a 99.
thanks

On the off hand case that you're not just Trolling...

All of your vacuum related stuff won't work right, including cruise and gas mileage may suffer because of the vacuum leak.
I'd atleast plug the hose.

unfortunately i'm not :D i have no idea about the vacuum system

thanks for the tip, i'll plug it until i can take care of it.

Ramsey said:
unfortunately i'm not :D i have no idea about the vacuum system

thanks for the tip, i'll plug it until i can take care of it.

Go find yourself a smaller one or replace it with the same, this time mount it inside, maybe down under the A/C drying tower. That way if you upgrade your bumper, tweak it against a tree or rock, etc you won't have to worry about it...

RichP said:
Go find yourself a smaller one or replace it with the same, this time mount it inside, maybe down under the A/C drying tower. That way if you upgrade your bumper, tweak it against a tree or rock, etc you won't have to worry about it...

When I replaced my bumper, I attached the bottle to the rear of the front fender brace just below the headlight ( have a 98'). Unfortunately, it now has to put up with all that trail crap. I like the idea of putting it in the engine compartment!
,Ron

RichP said:
yeah i'm in mid process of upgrading my bumper and it was being held on with zip ties and it must have caught my tire.

I'm not sure on a 99, but on a 95, the vacuum devices that remain are the heater controls, including the hot water valve, and the cruise. You certainly should plug the hose until you replace the reservoir, for the sake of the engine. If you have no cruise, you can use a smaller reservoir. Some of the late 80's base models had a little round one that's easy to find space for.

mine was a small round one. i got it plugged now and everything is working, a/c and cruise work fine.

Ramsey said:
mine was a small round one. i got it plugged now and everything is working, a/c and cruise work fine.

It will, it's getting any extra vacum reserve off your brake booster even though the booster is mostly isolated. The reserve bottle keeps the vac system functioning when you push the skinny pedal down and the vac in the system goes down for a few seconds of acceleration. Ford and some others used to make vac bottles out of what looked like coffee cans painted black, seemed to work.

Back