• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grinding

little red cheroke

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but havnt found anything and gives me an exact answer.

vehicle: 2001 XJ sport 4wd, 3" suspension lift, 31" tires.

when i start up in the morning to go to school and its cold out side i get a grinding noise and vib that shakes just about the whole jeep. not bad vibs like thatll shake the jeep apart but it does shake. usually happens when the engine idles at 1000rpm to warm up while in park. when i get going i get vibs at around 1900rpm. i get this even after the engine has warmed up. i checked the motor mounts, and hub bearings. the passenger side hub has less than 1/16th of an inch of play and the drive side has less than that. it SEEMS to be coming from the right side of the engine compartment. im pretty sure its not a drive train problem b/c it does it in park and when stopped. HELP!!

luvme88xj said:
TN is cold? more proof of global warming

are you serious, global warming's a joke, as are the hippies that pay the scientists to make it up.

but i sense sarcasim in your message so ill let it slide

check your motor mounts
I would also take the mechanical fan off and try starting without it. mechanical fan is driven by a temperature sensitive viscous clutch and is in that area, might explain why it happens with temp changes.

I think it's around $50
The fan is held on with 4 bolts, get yourself a ratchet wrench and make life easier on your knuckles.

Back