• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Light upgrade question

Nomaspescado

NAXJA Forum User
I need to install upgraded lights to my 98' Cherokee. I do not have any experience working with electrical so I need something that I can figure out (read: common sense).
Any personal opinions on which lights to use? (Better glass, better seal etc..)
Either
a) Hella
or
b) Cibie
Both "e-codes"
Haven’t decided on which bulbs yet.
Also, I need to upgrade the wiring for these lights.
Anyone use ARB's set up or the set up sold by Daniel Stern Lighting???
Easier install the better!
Thanks for any recommendations.
Steve

Didn't we talk about this the other day?

Any H4 lense/reflector is as easy to install as any sealed beam headlamp - just remove the retaining ring, remove the sealed beam, install the composite, and reinstall the retaining ring. The plugs are also the same - the only limiting factor to bulb power is the OEMR wiring (which I'm working on, as you know.)

I've heard good things about the Cibie lights - but I find them a bit spendy. I might consider them for use on a road car, but not on a truck - where the headlamp is fairly likely to take a hit. I already go through enough taillights...

I do like the fact that Hella uses a stainless bowl - in which I have drilled a 1/16" hole bottom centre (right behind the lense junction) for a drain. I don't tend to ford a lot of water, so that's not a problem for me.

Like I said on the phone - I've used Hella for years. Very reasonable prices, consistently good performance, and the 90/130W H4 bulb usually costs less (including shipping!) than H6054's do locally... (about $9, from Susquehanna Motorsports - www.rallylights.com.)

Anything else? I try to help...:repair:

5-90

You absolutely, positively get what you pay for (with the exception of "projecter" beams).

Cibie is number one, hands down, Hella a firm second. Cracks and holes in the lens will not stop them. It will allow dirt and dust to degrade the reflector, but we're talking a few years. The "blue" lights do not put out any more light, regardless of the hype, but they look cool.

I use the 55/100 bulbs so that low beam doesn't cause alot of pissed off traffic, but the high beam is killer good. Do not run stock wiring for very long as there is a built-in circuit breaker in the headlight switch which will overheat and cause intermittant lights. Recommend #10 wire, via relay.

this is the number one safety upgrade you can do for any vehicle that will accept E-code (not "projector").

Thanks, Shogun.
Just the confirmation I was looking for.
I'll look around for those 55/100 bulbs as it sounds like a good idea.
Hella makes a wiring kit that looks easy enough for me and Cibie e-code looks like the right housing.
Thanks again,
Steve

you may want to seriously consider making your own harness. I knew NOTHING about electricity when I started mine. I used Go-Jeeps site as my origional plan, but then decided to add two more relays. I am now comfortable doing small electrical jobs on my jeep. Its something you may want to consider. AND, I did it with basic tools in my dorm room. Just make sure to solder all the connections. I would honestly look into making your own, it gives a sense of acomplishment when you plug it all in, and it works !

Back