• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fix for sloppy shifter

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 MJ with an ax-15, ive recently driven a newer blazer with a stick, a newer wrangler (94) and a few cars, and none of them have close to the play that my tranny has. Plus the shifts in all of the vehicles feel better. Is there any way to get rid of the slop in my shifter?

I was thinking of the plastic ball on the end of the shifter, but what do I know?

My Neon R/T shifter has gotten sloppy with wear over the last 100k miles, but its still 10 times tighter and smoother than my XJ.

I've caught reverse once or twice, trying to downshift from 5th to 4th. I have an AX-5, but its basically the same as an AX-15.

That sight goes thru a lot of trouble to clean up a single shift rod, is it possible to buy a couple of parts and freshen up the shifter?

I've not found any place to buy the shifter parts. Hell, I can't even find any place to buy just the rod, they all want to sell it as a complete unit, shift tower and all. Luckily a guy on the Comanche board found me a new trans and shifter, so hopefully its a lot tighter.

Back