• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control Arm Woes.

beckXJ

NAXJA Forum User
To begin with, yes, I searched. I found some helpful info, and some that led me to more questions. So here's the deal:

Well, I have the Rusty's 3" kit, with full leaf packs. As you should already know, it comes without new control arms. I had to use the stock ones. So, I'm going to be buying some new control arms real soon. I'm not going to be lifting any more than the amount of lift I have now, and I won't be doing any hardcore wheeling. So, I'm not looking for some heavy-duty control arms. Just use them to better center my axle under my XJ and also to help make it a much nicer ride. I did some research on the Rusty's adjustable control arms (I'd be getting uppers and lowers). I'm pretty set on these, nice price, and I am completely happy with my lift from Rusty. While doing the research I found that they can be used with, or without a locking jam nut. I read that they use the ACME thread, so that it is not necessary for a lock nut, but often times without one you'll end up getting a clunking noise. But it also seems that it is bad for them to use the lock nut, because it causes them to bind up.

So, here are the questions I am left with:

1) Is it better to run these arms with, or without the lock nut?
2) Does anybody on here run these control arms?
3) Do you use a lock nut? If not, do you get any clunking?
4) If I decide to not use the lock nut, should I be prepared to grease these suckers often?
5) Even if I do use a lock nut, should I still grease the arms?
6) Will the arm lock up if I do decide to use a lock nut?
7) Are these control arms built well?

You will be way better off in the long run to invest in some "good" control arms(RE,JKS).

Back