• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow level down to 1200 feet

ifoundastick

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone going to go out this weekend and embrace the snow ??!?!!?!? i think i might try and hit big bear or lydel creek. Depending on my cousin and his zr2.

lance

ifoundastick said:
Anyone going to go out this weekend and embrace the snow ??!?!!?!? i think i might try and hit big bear or lydel creek. Depending on my cousin and his zr2.

lance

1200 feet??? Maybe Compton will be turning white?

That's pretty low, I guess my wife will be driving the XJ to work.

-Dan

Headed down to Anza Borrego/Ocotillo Wells :thumbup:

If any is heading up and needs snow chains, PM me. I have a couple of sets for sale.

I may try to take my son up to play on Sat. Not sure.

Last edited:
ifoundastick said:

lance

I'd love to go with you up Lyttle Creek....If you want to go early saturday...8am?

saki669 said:
That bumper is beefy, BTW. I bashed it several times just for fun. I dig it!

I take it that means you are also a believer?

bumper.jpg

saki669 said:
:jester:

Where were you at TDS? Never saw that ugly a$$ XJ of yours.

That bumper is beefy, BTW. I bashed it several times just for fun. I dig it!

I didn't take the XJ...the flattie was feeling neglected, so I took that instead.
We camped over on S22 to stay out of the dust and crazies. I planned to go visit on your side, but spent all my spare time fixing everyone else's junk.

Did you get any pics? I need to add you to my bumer pic collection.

-Dan

Captain Ron said:
Looks like more than just the snow level is low now. :D

--ron

He's going for the stealth look....fly low and avoid the radar.

It took me years to develop that bumper design for the military, for anti-radar reflection. I could tell you more about it, but you would need classified "clearance."

-Dan

Before you go check the (closed) roads in Big Bear.

Last edited:
Ed A. Stevens said:
Before you go check the (closed) roads in Big Bear.

ROADS??? You don't need no stinking roads to get to Big Bear; not paved one's anyway. Besides that, I have decided that there is less chance of getting stranded by starting out from the bottom as opposed to from the top.
I can't get up there this weakend, I can't be late getting down the hill in the afternoon; next weakend should be even better. What do you say Dan? ;)

I was in Big Bear last night, left this morning! Took my 2 yr old and wife up. We just wanted to be there. We took the wifes Z71 Tahoe (heated seats, nicer ride). Stayed in a hotel in the village (BB). Took us 4 hours to get up there. Over 16" of snow! Pretty cold 19 degrees. I have never seen it snowing so hard in my life. There were some big winds too. We tried to play in it this morning, but it was still snowing and the snow was to soft to pack down for sledding. My son liked the snow, but could not move aroud in it because was so deep. He is 37" tall, so waist deep in some places. He didn't know the difference between the sidewalk and the snow and step right down and did a face plant. It was funny as h*ll, but scared the crap out of him. I dusted him off and he started playing around. Came back this afternoon, easy drive, normal time 1.5 hours from the top to my house in Lake Forest. We wanted to stay another night, but I have to fly to San Fran tomorrow for 3 days.
I took a few pics, which I share once I download them from the camera.

I got an unexpected few hours today and just learned about the trails off the 138. So I headed up there at about 2:00 just to see what they were like. I had been up there last week and exited the 15 off Cleghorn. I ran that dirt road through to 138... but there was a fork near the end and I talked to 2 guys and they said it was a difficult trail. but if i was locked I would be fine...

So I went up... It was snowing when I hit the dirt. the sign said 3n22.

It was a pretty cool trail. Green rated if you stay on the dirt road. but there were side shoots everywhere. it was wet, muddy and snowy. I tried one of the more vicious off shoots and ended up tilting my XJ on its side. Scraped paint off, broke Driver side mirror. We (I met a 2 guys in a toy) drove all the way over the mtn and down most of the other side before we turned back. I took one pic with my phone.

att00012.jpg

it was about 27... and I helped a moron off the hill. he was up where the snow was about 3 inches deep in a lifted 2WD Xtera. He was trying to back down the hill after he couldn't get up the hill anymore. he was kind of lucky we came by... He was burried into the side of the hill and I would say he was at least 5 miles back... I drug him down the hill to where he could turn around... I kind of took him through a couple of trees and he had a few new racing stripes he didnt have before...

there were a few of the side shoots I wouldn't try cause they were covered in snow, but they look like they would be fun muddy or even dry...

has anyone been on that trial?

P.S. I promised my boy we would go sledding tomorrow so I may be going up to Big Bear on Sunday...

Ken

Well, its 9:30 and I am heading up to Big Bear... I will be behind Fawnskin letting my boy sled... I will be on Channel 4... More than likely I will head to the north end of Holcom Creek.

Ken

rpraterxj said:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=xj7ztxt.5lycva2p&x=0&y=-9n7xd2

A few pics here of the snow. No 4 wheeling, but lots of fun. I want to go wheeling up there very soon. Got to do a few things to Jeep first.

Awesome pics Robert!

Looks like there was a ton of snow up there. I got cold looking at the pics. That kid of yours is super cute..where did he get all the good looks? :confused1

-Scott

Back