• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Failed Inspection....

DVM04

NAXJA Forum User
Well just failed inspection today in NJ,.....for what you ask......? Well I will tell you. Windshield wipers.......Can you beleive it, I was worried about a millin other things....windshield wipers were not one of them.....Just had to vent thankyou.....

my dad's expedition failed because there was about half an inch of the wiper blade missing from the end, its all stupid

I was happy with the emmissions stuff. Just dumped a new engine in and the nox were actually less than 100, where they should be under 1200 in nj. The cat has over 300k on it so I thought I still could fail on emmissions, but passed for everything.....except

This the kicker I am putting my 2inch BB on this weekend with 31's that I have. The stockers have bits of steel sticking out of them and the inspection guy says they are fine.....

Hey whatever, windshield wipers......like avsno said, 20 bucks and done....

My brother says the NJ inspection is a joke, line up and pay your money and you get your sticker. If you can stop the car when you pull into the bay, your brakes pass, you don't even have to get out of the car. I guess its not that easy.

Maryland is whole different PITA. You just have to get the vehicle inspected within 30 days of purchase, new or used, new of course the dealer does the inspection. No other provision in the law for an extension, you have to have the car pass inspection within 30 days, thats it. The inspection is extensive, checking everything, it takes the mechanice more than an hour and includes a road test.

So a lot of people basically ignore their car for years, and then sell it, which the buyer has to fix everything that was unsafe on the vehicle. The Prevous Owner of my XJ told me the brake light had been on for the last 50k miles, he didn't bother trying to fix it, the brake reservouir was dry, the rear brakes had leaked and was total dry and unused, the Master Cylinder stage for the rear brakes was empty, you had to push the brakes to the floor to get any braking force out of it. He had been driving it like that for probably 2 or 3 years. You see people with burnout headlamps all the time, even worse, all sorts of illegal lamps or improperly aimed lamps that blind everyone while driving. Thats what happens when people never have to have their vehicle inspected again, they'll go ten years with just changing the oil.

Since there's no way I'll be able to pass inspection within 30 days on my XJ, unless I take out a loan, which I'm not going to do, so I called the cops. They say just don't drive the vehicle on the road, until I pass the inspection and get my permenant registration, that when I'm ready to take it to the mechanic for the inspection any cop that pulls me over will probably just give me a warning if I explain the situation, the worse they can do is fine me for driving with an expired registration. I just have to keep the insurance on the car, that a big big no no in MD, driving without insurance is a huge fine.

Yes ... I used to live in Maryland and it was a total PITA. And the Maryland DMV was so dysfunctional it could make you laugh if it wasn't so horrible.

Here in Montana, there is no inspection at all, which probably explains why my '91 had no cat on it when I bought it.

Thankfully Colorado got rid of that vehicle inspection crap years ago - it never really seems to limit the number of unsafe cars on the road anyway, and only helps piss people off about stupid state regulations. We still have emissions inspections along most of the Front Range counties but they're not as draconian as California about it.

Passing NJ inspection is NOT a joke, unless you have a "friend" in the business....that pretty much goes for any state including Maryland!

Maryland Emissions is a joke, a sick joke on the tax payer. This state has some of the cleanest and freshest air in the country, but thats not good enough, we had to spend 100's of millions of dollars on State of the Art Scientific Laboratories with Full Rolling Dynos, Wind Fans, Exhaust Analysis, vapor/vacuum check stations, etc, etc, all tied together with computer control. Take a look at a Maryland Emissions Inspections Station, its incredible, then imagine how much all that equipment costs, and there are several per county. MD spent years building and equipping all these stations, and they knew about OBDII coming all along.

So guess what, for ever 1996 and later car (which is most in Maryland, since their safety inspection creates an environment that discourages used car sales over a decade old) comes into the station, that millions of dollars of scientific equipment just sits there as the tech plugs a $500 laptop into your car and reads the OBDII for any emmissions problems and passes or fails you.

Thanks MD, I couldn't think of a better use for all my Tax Money that went to pay for that uneeded equipment.

Passing NJ inspection is NOT a joke for sure...I always feel like I'm at the principles office waiting for the hammer to drop.

Failed NJ inspection about two years ago...for a friggin' burnt out license plate lamp. Funny I went back to re-inspect and a Cherokee in front of me failed for the same reason....I had an extra bulb and gave it to the guy! We XJ guys gotta stick together!

Actually the inspection station guys felt so bad they had to fail me and the other guy for such a stupid thing...they apologized over and over.

That is REALLY sad. You don't even get a "reject/re-inspection' sticker? When I was stationed in Va., my old Camaro at least got the "3 strikes and it's out" test. It failed for having 5 things wrong, fixed 2 of them- the fuel line leak and the leaky wheel cyl., got re-inspected for no extra charge, and passed. It sounds like "NEW England" sure learned well from "Old England" about how to screw people. Oh yeah, I had like WEEK (7 days, not 5) to fix the problems or I would have to pay for the insp. again.

what a complete pain in the ass way for a government to make money on top of state and fed income tax, sales tax, licence tax, gas tax. ect.ect.ect. Oh yea and a death tax

Kinda a stupid question because I know its different in every state but in general do you have to have the rear wiper arm to pass inspection? I think my rear motor may be seized and theres no arm anyway. Just wondering out loud. Maybe I could take out the motor and plug the hole?

My YJ just recently failed its yearly safety inspection for West Virginia.
The rear brake shoes werent thick enough. I knew they were close when I took it in but they werent on the rivets yet.
Anyways, I had 1 week to get it fixed or pay almost $30 for the whole modified vehicle inspection again. I do my own brakes but just out of curiosity, I asked the shop that did the inspection when they could work it in for a brake job. "One week". Aint that grand.

Johnny V said:
Failed NJ inspection about two years ago...for a friggin' burnt out license plate lamp. Funny I went back to re-inspect and a Cherokee in front of me failed for the same reason....I had an extra bulb and gave it to the guy! We XJ guys gotta stick together!
I failed a MD inspection for the same thing, but it was my mini-van.

Thats the one nice thing about MD inspection, they give you list of what they find wrong, you can fix it yourself and bring the vehicle back with the checklist and the mechanic has to re-check free of charge (by law) and pass you if all the stuff is fixed.

So, the inspection is really tough, they will find something if its not a brand new car; BUT they recheck for free; so all you lose is a 2nd trip to the mechanic to get your checklist and seal.

klonestar said:
Kinda a stupid question because I know its different in every state but in general do you have to have the rear wiper arm to pass inspection? I think my rear motor may be seized and theres no arm anyway. Just wondering out loud. Maybe I could take out the motor and plug the hole?
Most states NO; usually the safety inspection is just that, for minimum required safety equipment. The rear window wiper is an extra not on all cars and although you could argue its "SAFETY" equipment, it is additional safety equipment, above the minimum required for the road. So most states won't fail you for a bad rear wiper.

Where the state differ, in how often or if at all, the frequency of the safety inspection; and how thorough the safety inspection is.

Some states the inspector just walks around the vehicle and makes sure all the equipment is THERE and all the lights work.

Others, the inspector does a road test, puts the vehicle up on a lift, pulls the wheels and drums, inspects everything on a 150 pt checklist and everything must be in "PROPER" working order, i.e. the car being able to stop in the bay is NOT good enough to pass, the brakes have to perform like when the vehicle came off the assembly line.

Rick Anderson said:
Where the state differ, in how often or if at all, the frequency of the safety inspection; and how thorough the safety inspection is.

Wow. And, reading these posts, Maryland has to be about the most-moronic of the ones listed!! I will remember the "cars never need to be re-inspected for the same owner" clause the next time I'm cruising bumper-to-bumper on the Beltway with my inspected-every-year PA car....

Hell, I'd think that buying a car that had all sorts of "undisclosed problems" that caused it to fail inspection would be some sort of litigation target...

In PA, a fresh inspection sticker is a major selling point, because it guarantees the new owner that he won't have to mess with it for close to a year!

Den

DenLip said:
In PA, a fresh inspection sticker is a major selling point, because it guarantees the new owner that he won't have to mess with it for close to a year!
Yea, and if you've got 11 months 29 days of brake lining left, you have to pay for a brake job.

I remember that nonsense from the PA inspection, "Your brakes are fine, but they won't last until the next inspection, therefore they have to be replaced" "No, you can't get a sticker for when the brakes will wear out, replace the brakes now or no sticker at all."

At least there was a state specification for the mechanic to go off, instead of just his own judgement.

Back