• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Greasing RE shackles...

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I can't for the love of me get my grease gun to fit on the shackles grease zert. The angle is just too bad and the head on my gun is too big. Is there any trick to getting this to work, maybe a home made extension or something?

Is it possible they were installed backward? I know that I had this happen when my Tera's were first installed. The zerks faced rearward and I couldn't get to them.

Other than that, try replacing the zerk with a flush mount and use a needle. They are a little more tolerant on the angle of approach.

John90XJ said:
Is it possible they were installed backward? I know that I had this happen when my Tera's were first installed. The zerks faced rearward and I couldn't get to them.

Other than that, try replacing the zerk with a flush mount and use a needle. They are a little more tolerant on the angle of approach.

They are facing in towards my tires, but at a bad angle. Where can you get flush mount zerks?

I was wondering if I could get a different head for my grease gun maybe?

Had the same issue,90* zerks fixed that!

IntrepidXJ said:
i believe the zerks on the RE shackles should be facing backwards. i can get to mine easily with a gun

Mine face inward of the vehicle and the shackles are installed correctly.

Fred85 said:
do you not have a flex hose for your gun??

Yes, its the tip thats too big can't quit get it to fit flush on the zert and grease goes everywhere, but in lol.

ZachMan said:
Thanks I'll have to order one of those.

save yourself some money and go to lowes and buy some 90 degree zirk fittings. Should be in the range of $2 for two of them. Take the old zirk out and screw the new one in. All problems solved.

Crap, well I was wrong, my shackles are in backasswards, the zerts facing the back of the Jeep. Does this do anything other than keep me from getting to the zert? I mean it looks the same either way, besides the cut out on it. Wonder if this is why it hits my exhaust in two places, hmmm.

The "cut-out" goes to the rear.

Back