• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust/Electrical Fan Q

Cherokeelaredo

NAXJA Forum User
I did a bit of a search but didn't get the answers I was looking for.

What if i Were to run a 2 1/2 straight exhaust on my XJ. (4.0L '89).
What should I expect. Currently i have the stock exhaust, with a stock Cat, and a magnaflow muffler. I find it a tad too quiet. Any suggestions? What if I were to remove the cat, replace its place with piping, but left the muffler?

Secondly, my Xj never came with a electrical fan(no A/C either), so how would I go about hard wiring it to a switch. Any diagrams or anything?

Thanks a lot.

It would sound like crappy rice
removing the cat would just trip the engine light
there are several ways to wire in a fan . I think most people are running a thermostat set-up with them. Pretty simple to do ,check out summit ,quadratec or other suppliers

Leave the cat; it serves a useful purpose and doesn't impede performance. If you want a little more 'sound' out of the rig, try a Flowmaster Delta 50 or even a 40-series.

There are quite a few threads floating around here that discuss the electric fan and wiring it to come on manually, you could follow that route to get it to work in your rig. Marcus (gojeep) probably has something along those lines on his site.

Removing the cat converter on an 89 model will not trip a light as there is no O2 sensor behind the cat.

I removed mine because it had a broken catalyst inside. Didnt change the sound too much. Sure didnt hurt performance.

I dont even think there is a light to trip, at least there isnt on my Comanche. The emession maintenence is just a timer and there are no other lights besides seatbelts n such. I dont have a cat on my truck and i got a flowmaster 40 series i think. Sounds pretty tough. Everyone thinks i got a 360 in it. My cat was replaced with straight pipe and then i put on my flowmaster and dropped it about a foot later in front of the rear axle. i love the sound of it

I disagree completely, the stock cat impedes performance in a big way. However, for those of you with $$, a high-flow cat will not impede performance at all and will perform as good or better as a factory cat in terms of exhaust cleanliness.

Yucca-Man said:
Leave the cat; it serves a useful purpose and doesn't impede performance. If you want a little more 'sound' out of the rig, try a Flowmaster Delta 50 or even a 40-series.

There are quite a few threads floating around here that discuss the electric fan and wiring it to come on manually, you could follow that route to get it to work in your rig. Marcus (gojeep) probably has something along those lines on his site.

Ok, so as far as the Cat goes, I may remove it until I replace it with a high flow performance one.

As far as the electrical fan goes, I tried searching, and I don't get anything tellign me to wire it, but mostly problems related to it(ie not turning on/off, making noise, etc). Some help in terms of wiring it (directly to switch) would be awesome.
thanks.

fid the fan relay that the switch normally uses and then wire a switch to jump the relay. you may need some diodes in there to keep it from backfeeding anything else.

Back