• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modifying upper shock mounts

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking of getting new shocks for my MJ. Along th elines of YJ shocks on my BB. The problem is the shocks are a bit too long. As in ill loose 2.5" of uptravel.

I was thinking of making a new upper mount, to compensate for this. It looks like theres room on the passenger side, but the drivers side has the master cylinder.

Has anyone tried something like this before ?

I am going through the same problem, and have considered both lowering the bottom mounts (posted a question about an hour ago on this) and raising the top mounts.

On an '88 at least, if you move the top mounts slightly toward the outside, you can get a little more clearance and not run into the MC. I figure that there is a couple of inches to be gained, and it should allow for an upper eye conversion as well - in fact I think it would be easiest with one.

If you are on stock rims you might get into rubbing problems if you go too far out...

Travis

I know of a few jeeps locally that have moved the lower mount down about 1.5"

Didnt think of modifying the lower mount, how does that work ?

Im trying to get the biggest shock I can in there, since I have a BB, I might as well make it flex like no tomarrow.

:)

Am I missing something?
If you haven't bought the shocks yet, why is this a problem?
Just buy the right length shocks.

I found a good deal on YJ shocks. Much cheaper than the "right" shock, and I wanted to get as much flex as possible

summitlt said:
Didnt think of modifying the lower mount, how does that work ?

Im trying to get the biggest shock I can in there, since I have a BB, I might as well make it flex like no tomarrow.

:)

I havent looked at it close yet (i will be soon though). Track down vintagespeed or mike lockwood and ask them about it.

-C

summitlt said:
I found a good deal on YJ shocks. Much cheaper than the "right" shock, and I wanted to get as much flex as possible
Hell the best shocks avail, Bilstein 5150s, are only $200/pair. How can you possibly save enough on standard YJ shocks to justify this much effort?
Also, moving the shock mounts to fit the shocks in will offset most of the travel gains.

you are doing this backwards. Find shocks that fit your system not change your system to fit your shocks.

This all ties back into trying to have decent axle travel and low static height. Why be satisfied with stock travel if there are good alternatives that let us keep our rigs low and have big travel.

That being said, if I was just trying to be cheap, I would run something like the monroe 37193, which has almost 11" of travel, and is only about 13.5" compressed. Perfect for a stock rig and can be had for about $35 a piece anywhere...

However, my efforts in this area have not been tied to trying to fit a cheaper shock, but trying to fit something like one of the better eye/eye type shocks (but not go so far as a big $$ short body 7100). I was looking at bilstein 5125's, so here is a basic compressed length breakdown by travel:

travel - compressed length
8" - 14"
10" - 16"
12" - 18"

At stock height, an XJ is at about 14" at full bumpstop, and normally sits somewhere around 18"

If we consider that the 5125's are eye/eye, and the typical conversion will add at least another inch to the compressed length of the shock, we can quickly see that only the 8" will work, as even the 10" will yield only an inch of uptravel, which is far to little...

So, if I can build an upper shock mount that converts the mount to an eye, and locates it about 2" up, I can run the 10" travel version with full stock uptravel, more overall travel, and slightly more droop in absolute terms as well.

Why do all the naysayers think that is such a bad idea?

Travis

That monroe is only a .3" more travel than the stock XJ shock
21.1 ext 12.8 compressed is stock

Doesnt seem worth it

Zebaru said:
This all ties back into trying to have decent axle travel and low static height. Why be satisfied with stock travel if there are good alternatives that let us keep our rigs low and have big travel.

That being said, if I was just trying to be cheap, I would run something like the monroe 37193, which has almost 11" of travel, and is only about 13.5" compressed. Perfect for a stock rig and can be had for about $35 a piece anywhere...

However, my efforts in this area have not been tied to trying to fit a cheaper shock, but trying to fit something like one of the better eye/eye type shocks (but not go so far as a big $$ short body 7100). I was looking at bilstein 5125's, so here is a basic compressed length breakdown by travel:

travel - compressed length
8" - 14"
10" - 16"
12" - 18"

At stock height, an XJ is at about 14" at full bumpstop, and normally sits somewhere around 18"

If we consider that the 5125's are eye/eye, and the typical conversion will add at least another inch to the compressed length of the shock, we can quickly see that only the 8" will work, as even the 10" will yield only an inch of uptravel, which is far to little...

So, if I can build an upper shock mount that converts the mount to an eye, and locates it about 2" up, I can run the 10" travel version with full stock uptravel, more overall travel, and slightly more droop in absolute terms as well.

Why do all the naysayers think that is such a bad idea?

Travis
If the goal is more droop then that is a worthy cause.
If you're doing it because you got a good deal on shocks that don't fit, it's stupid.

I moved my lower shock mounting location down to the outside of the LCA mount, in conjunction with relocating my LCA mount for better clearance and improved LCA angle. I used weld on tabs and straddled the LCA bolt. I also run eye/eye shocks with a post eliminator up top.

summitlt said:
That monroe is only a .3" more travel than the stock XJ shock
21.1 ext 12.8 compressed is stock

Doesnt seem worth it

Hmm... I guess the 'stock' I was referring to was the monroe sensatrac 'stock' part number. Anyway...

The Monroe catalog lists the 37083 for XJ at 13.25 compressed, 21.125 ext. The 37193 (ZJ upcountry) is listed as having 13.375 compressed, 24.250 ext.

That is 3" more travel (almost 11" overall) with a compressed length merely 1/8" longer... Seems like a very good fit for a stock XJ, and shouldn't need any extra bumpstop...

Travis

As long as were on the subject of shocks, whats your pick? Bilstein 5150 - Rancho RS9000X - Pro Comp MX-6 adjustable?
Also considering ditching the coils, and making hoops for coil overs, anyone have any experience w/ the Fox air shocks?

jayuu said:
will the zj upcountry have the same bolt thing on top and bar thing on bottom? er same mounting points.

These are the shocks that are recommended in the alternative BB article out there (rock lizard or something like that???) - the one with the carquest coils and the extra stock leaves as a lift alternative.

The monroe catalog lists a slightly different bar pin for them - the mounting holes are 1/16" further apart. If that is enough to be unusable, I suspect the stock ones could be reused instead (or BPE to get rid of the problem entirely...)

Travis

Back