• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj bench seat

TheBlueSub

NAXJA Forum User
ok i own a 90 xj and i want a benh front seat i read that a mj seat will bolt in has anyone done this???what center console should i use and e-brake i will move to the floor pedal style but any problems with this swap????

sounds to me like you need the parts from an MJ, that would have the floor pedal style E-brake. And also the mini console for the shifter. You should be able to use an MJ seat, but you need to use your XJ brackets, some mods may be needed to make them fit. The reason is tht the XJ and MJ floorpans are differnt, and the brackets sit at a different hieght. Standard or automatic shouldn't matter in your donor MJ, I believe the holes in the console are the same for both.

87manche said:
sounds to me like you need the parts from an MJ, that would have the floor pedal style E-brake. And also the mini console for the shifter. You should be able to use an MJ seat, but you need to use your XJ brackets, some mods may be needed to make them fit. The reason is tht the XJ and MJ floorpans are differnt, and the brackets sit at a different hieght. Standard or automatic shouldn't matter in your donor MJ, I believe the holes in the console are the same for both.

I have done this for someone recently, all the above info is correct. The Mj hs a much beefier frame and sticks up into the cab. just find your donor rig at the salvage yard and have at it

Mothertrucker said:
i didnt even think of that thanks(the center console)anyone ever swap in a colum shifter???
XJs of that vintage had GM steering columns, so i bet the GM column itself would bolt right in. now making the shift linkage work, you'd probably have to get crafty.
great idea though.

quick question...why would someone even think of ever doing this? what does it have better than just the regular two seater? besides adding an extra seat...it's just kind of pointless to me...to make a huge effort for something that isn't that great of an upgrade...im not trying to bash it...im just wondering why people even do it?

to some people being different is worth it all by itself my friend. That's the reason I bought a jeep years ago instead of a honda civic.

I have a MJ column shifter I'm not doing anything with if you want it.

xjnation said:
The Mj has a much beefier frame and sticks up into the cab.

And how. The floorpan is sandwiched between two hat sections and spot welded together along the flanges... makes floorpan repair a challenge.

Lawn Cher' said:
And how. The floorpan is sandwiched between two hat sections and spot welded together along the flanges... makes floorpan repair a challenge.
don't tell me that mark, I think I got a hole in the drivers side I need to repair!

87manche said:
don't tell me that mark, I think I got a hole in the drivers side I need to repair!

dont worry about removing the whole thing, cut out the damage, make a 16 gau patch, spotweld in.cover with 3 layers of fiberglass and resin.......will last forever

Make sure that you grab the little "spacers" under the brackets, they are needed to bolt the seat down correctly on the mounting studs. You may have to actually look for them, since they have a habit of embedding themselves in the carpet/floorliner. Also, the bench seats DO have differences in them- the seat for a FLOOR shifted tranny has a notch in it to clear the shifter, while the column shift seat is straight on the front edge. This will make more of a difference than you might think, especially if you have short legs.

codeman8118 said:
quick question...why would someone even think of ever doing this?

Simple, its so him and his SO can sit close to each other with his arm wrapped around her. ie: two headed driver.
Ahhh, brings back high school memories of dating in my parents Ford LTD.

Ray H said:
Simple, its so him and his SO can sit close to each other with his arm wrapped around her. ie: two headed driver.
Ahhh, brings back high school memories of dating in my parents Ford LTD.

this man has hit the reason of this switch on the head....i have no heat so this another good way to warm up and she dont like the back seat....

i am heading to the scrap yard tommorw to get a preserved (covered in seat cover)mj seat it might even have a colum shifter come to think of it......thanks ya'll

Let me know how that goes. I always thought the XJ buckets wee too narrow and would like to have room to spread out. I'm no fatty but arthritis makes it tough to bend the way the buckets do.

Back