• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having some stock/custom leaf springs made

klonestar

NAXJA Forum User
Being fortunate enough to live close to a leaf spring making company w/drive through service I plan on having them make me a new set of stock leafs and put them on. I cant afford other upgrades yet (longer shocks,etc.) but wouldnt mind a minimal 1" rise on the back end from the new leafs.

Question: Do I just leave it up to them and tell them I want a 1" rise or what? I dont really want the slinky stock size but dont like feeling like im jumping a curb when I run over a marble either. I was thinking maybe adding a leaf between the large upper and the one below it but splitting the difference in the lenght between those two. I do not know the dynamics involved so thought id just toss this out there for input.

I did read an off forum post on a budget 2" lift idea but not ready to go there just yet. Actually think I may hold off untill I can afford to go 6" or so.

I may add coilovers on the rear at some time.

Many thanks,
Ken

Would coil over rear shocks be a decent substitute in lieu of putting on new rear stock leafs?

I called the local leaf spring maker today and they are calling back w/estimate for AAL in rear leafs (installed while U wait). Said he can do with a 1" lift so no other mods needed right now.

Still playing with the idea of the extra leaf being about 3/4 length of long leaf and locate it just under the long main leaf. Would this raise it too much or be too stiff for road?

Sure wish I could just go with a higher lift right now but cant afford it. :repair:

Many thanks,
Ken

if im understanding you correctly, and your gonna have them build you all new stock leafs, i would just wait until you can afford 6" and have them make you some leafs for that height. if you go from 1" to 6" your gonna have to get all new leaf packs (if you want to do it the right way). holding off until you can go to 6 is a good idea, and it will save you some money in the longrun.

Actually I plan on having them give me a simple one inch lift to compensate a little for future sag and to go just a smidgen more HD while retaining stock composure to save funds right now.

I talked to the boss at the spring company today and he recommends a basic AAL pack on the rear which is fine with me as long as I dont incur more mod costs doing it right now.

Any problems going with a 2" rear lift with a stock front end for now? I dont like the new stock rear shocks anyway!

What would I expect to get if I added coil overs to a 2" AAL rear leaf set? Too stiff a ride?

Thanks for the input,
Ken

Re: Having some stock/custom leaf springs made(help)

Ok im having the rear leafs made at the spring shop now a quick question....

After reading the "Home Brew Budget Boost" where the guy takes the full length main spring and chops off the ends and uses them as the AAL's, I think I will have the spring shop make my AAL this length and attach in the same manner thereby giving me a 2" lift in the rear.

Question is: Any issues here im not thinking about and can I run it for a few weeks before raising the front?

Thanks,
Ken

Back