• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gutting a D30 (need r&p)

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I need to gut a YJD30 since i need the carrier and 4.10's from it for my xj. Anyone have tips,steps or link on how to do this?

Also i just need to double check the ring and pinion from a yj will work in my 92 xj right?

needs to be setup perfectly for any highway or road driving. if you are asking then you probably cant do it. search for gear installs.

the XJ axle is a hi-pinion axle.. whats the YJ? they need to be the same. and as far as gear set-up, i agree, if you have to ask about set-up you probably arent up to it. not saying you "can't" but it's one of those things better left to the experienced guys but also a task that is well worth learning.

This is a task you can't teach yourself?? I've done everything else, including engine rebuilds with just a good book, I'd think an axle setup would be the same.

Granted its super hi-precision, with bad results if you don't set it up according to the specs.

I've got a dial indicator, but my worry would be setting up "PINION DEPTH", according to the book, you need some special tools that look expensive. Any tricks to get around using those special tools for setting pinion depth?

Sorry guys i should of been more clear. I am getting the gears installed at a shop but i wanna save a bit on labour so i am gonna pull the gears from the donor diff (yj d30) myself. So basicly i want to know how to take it apart so i can bring the R&P with me to the shop.

canadianwheeler said:
Sorry guys i should of been more clear. I am getting the gears installed at a shop but i wanna save a bit on labour so i am gonna pull the gears from the donor diff (yj d30) myself. So basicly i want to know how to take it apart so i can bring the R&P with me to the shop.
Remove the cover.
Remove both axles.
Remove the pinion nut.
Remove 4 carrer bolts.
Pry everything out.

langer1 said:
Remove the cover.
Remove both axles.
Remove the pinion nut.
Remove 4 carrer bolts.
Pry everything out.

Are they axles held in by c-clips or not? Its a vaccum disco axle.
Is there a trick to removing the pinion nut?

Back