• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My AX-15, will it live?

ChuckD

NAXJA Forum User
My Ax-15 has about 135-140k on it, new clutch and slave cylinder at about 115k. I finally changed out the GL5 I had in there for about a year. Now it has the GL3, straight from the dealer.

Anyway, having a bit of trouble shifting,slight grinding when getting on it and when I changed to oil, on the drain plub it had a 1/8" layer of silver residue, only found a few very small metal slivers on the magnet of the drain plug.

Contributing factors:

1. Maybe from my 1" drop (which will be fixed as soon as I get my SYE on)

2. GL5 took a toll on my syncros

3. It's just plain worn out.

What can I do as far as rebuilding it? I have zero tranny expierence. How much time and money would I be looking at. Is it a simple transmission to work on. I have a good friend who has rebuild Autos and Manuals before.

Chuck --

If all you're getting is some minor grinding when you shift, look into adding a molybdenum disulfide compound. JC Whitney used to sell a product called Gear Moly, which I've been running in my Pewgoat 5-speed for years. It takes the place of the extreme pressure additives that GL-5 has and GL-3 doesn't have.

Whitney doesn't sell the stuff any more and the only source I know of for that particular product is a wholesaler -- I'd have to buy a gallon for $116 to get a pint that will last me for 50,000 miles. (I may do it anyway, that's how much I like the stuff.)

I would not be surprised if the special assembly lube sold for camshaft installations contains moly, and I've been intending to look into mixing a slug of assembly lube into some gear oil to see how it works. Or if you can find another source for a molydenum disulfide lube additive, try it.

eagle, my brother has been getting into machining and i've been hearing about molybdenum disulfide a bit lately. could a bit of it from a machining application be added to the lube? a friend has an old bottle of stuff called "MOLY DEE" that works wonders, could this be a possible route? i would like to rid myself of gl-5 and this might be a good path to take. thanks a lot, this thread really interests me.
dan f.

Anyone up for a group buy on the molybdenum disulfide, The tranny only takes just over three quarts.

Eagle, how much do you add to your Pewgoat, :)

Also, the hard shifting didn't happen all of a sudden, it's been slowly getting worse and worse. I didn't expect the GL3 to solve my problems either, I'm thinking the drop Tcas and maybe a shortshifter mod might be in order. I'll post on the Mod board about the Hurst Shifter and see what comes up.

Thanks all, :)

Couple questions. (I by no means am an expert at trannys but have an AX-5 open in my shop and I bought one that had trouble shifting to rebuild and put in my jeep. Mine is popping out of first.) Ok is it haveing trouble in all gears or just certain ones? What kind of clutch did you use? OEM? NAPA? Etc. And has it been under strain since you put the clutch in? IE: burning the clutch when engaging?

I was in a bind when my slave cyilinder went out. I was in Texas at the time and needed my junk fixed quickly. I took it to the loacl dealer in Witchita Falls. I paid about $800 for new clutch cylinder and labor. Also had a 1yr warrenty. I got quotes from Fresno to see if it was legit. Fresno quoted me $1200 for the same work and parts.

My problems started about 1-1.5 years later, with that I added 31's then 33's. 4.10 Diffs and a rear locker. More lift and then the Tcase Drop. I noticed it the most with the Tcase drop, but it wouldn't grind just a little harder to slip into gear.

When I bought the Gear Moly it came in a small bottle, maybe 6 ounces or 8 ounces. I dumped in the whole bottle. I talked to the distributor in Atlanta a year ago and I think he told me the recommeded dose is 5% of the capacity of the tranny or diff.

BTW -- have you tried double-clutching, especially on downshifts? It isn't "supposed" to be necessary with a synchromesh tranny, but I was taught to drive by a grandfather who grew up in the days before they had such things, and I've owned cars with completely non-synchro trannies. So I always double-clutch, and I think it helps the synchros live longer. In cold weather I also either double-clutch from 1st to 2nd, or I "grannY' shift into second (just barely rolling, and ease it in as gently as possible -- not recommended on a busy highway!).

The next logical question is whether use of their Engine-Aide is recommended or not. Any thoughts?

I'm interested... I have 2 vehicles that could use it, and I'd be willing to buy the case for distribution.

Ok, when you get it, post on the classifieds and how much you want to sell it for. I'm in for two bottles.

FYI, I took a look at a bottle of RedLine for Mannual tranny's. It specifically says it does not have the GL5 lubricant and states that the GL5 would shorten the life of you syncros. It is GL4 compliant, I don't know if that has any harmful effects or not.

Ok is it haveing trouble in all gears or just certain ones? QUOTE]

Are 3rd and 4th harder than the rest? Or are they all hard to shift?

Back