• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Engine swap no crank/run????

Tim88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped a 88 4.0 with the renix system into a 94 XJ. I completely gutted the wiring out of the 94 XJ so there is none of it left. When removing the engine from my 88 XJ I only kept the wiring for the computer, ignition, and engine. There is no other wiring installed in the new vehicle except that for the engine. The engine was running when removed from my 88 XJ.

I installed the engine and hooked everything up only to turn the key and have not a thing happen, no clicks, no sound at all. I then realized I had 2 of the main engine to computer plugs reversed. There are 2 sets of 6 prong Weatherpack connectors on the passengerside fender well. These are the ones I reversed. I corrected this mistake, and turned the key this time to hear the fuel pump fire up for the correct 2-3 seconds and what I believe was either the ASD relay or the b+latch relay click. When turning the key to start, nothing. no crank at all. I wired up my own 12v switch to the starter solenoid and can get it to crank, but will not fire with the key in the on position.

I tested the coil, it is getting a keyed 12v source and has a good ground. The engine is getting fuel pressure, however I believe it is not doing either of the following: Getting Spark, nor are the injectors injecting fuel into the cylinder. If I put my hand on any given injector I do not feel any clicking of any sort. Also when I put a spark plug in the coil wire, or in any of the plug wires, I do not see any spark.

Perhaps if I find the root of the problem as to why it wont crank at the ignition switch (I retained the plug from the 88 harness and it plugged directly into the 94 ignition switch) I could find the problem.

Also, could hooking those 2 connectors up reverse cause the computer to fry?

Edit: All engine grounds, ground straps are hooked up, CPS is hooked up and was good when removed, I am at a loss.

Thanks for any help. -Tim

Back