• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's going to break in Moab...

bluebullet6

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been to Moab a half dozen times or so with little or no issue, but always on an ATV, once in a Toyota PU with a friend in high school about ten years ago. I've got a 93 XJ with a 5 inch Rocky Road lift, 33x12.5 BFG ATs, Aussie Locker in the rear, stock gearing (3.55) with no SYE. What's going to break? I've already read and seen horror stories on the d35c online, and I have spare axle shafts and the tools and lube to change them mid-trail enough to hobble out. What other types of things typically break, and what spares should I bring? Drive shaft yokes? Axle Yokes? U joints?

I consider myself a conservative to moderate risk taker and will likely take bypasses (if present) on the more difficult obstacles. I'm planning to do Hell's Revenge, Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar, *maybe* Kane Creek, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Flat Iron Mesa. I've done all of these trails on an ATV, except the Moab Rim, so I know what to expect.

Thanks in advance. I'll be down there from 3/29 - 4/1 if anyone wants to join up with me and a few of my buddies. There will only be two vehicles in our caravan.

Last edited:
Take a spare rear yoke and straps. Or do yourself a favor and upgrade to a yoke that uses u-bolts instead of straps.

96XJCLASSIC said:
Take a spare rear yoke and straps. Or do yourself a favor and upgrade to a yoke that uses u-bolts instead of straps.
huh?

If anything, spare axle shafts for the front and rear (especially with D35!) and you already have those. ANything else, well, it just depends on your rig.
Oh yeah and for Moab Rim bring a spare change of underwear ;)

I've done Kane Creek, Cliff Hanger and Moab Rim, all of them on 4.5", 31x10.50s and limited slips fore and aft. I've also been pretty lucky, I haven't broken any major parts out there yet.

Keep your head straight, and you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Kejtar said:

ubolt.jpg

Kejtar said:
oh I lnow what they are, I just don't see that as something to worry about.

Yea that is what I thought also, until I sheered off the bolts in the yoke. This happened my first ride out last spring. Destroyed my yoke, straps, u-joint and ears on the driveshaft and left me right seating for the rest of the weekend.

96XJCLASSIC said:
Yea that is what I thought also, until I sheered off the bolts in the yoke. This happened my first ride out last spring. Destroyed my yoke, straps, u-joint and ears on the driveshaft and left me right seating for the rest of the weekend.

99.9 % of the time that is from u joints not being maintained and or loose bolts on the straps.......The straps usually never fail on their own...Im betting the rear u joint had bad bearings in one or more caps to start with..

Well I reposted this same thread in the Intermountain Chapter... hopefully this isn't a no no. I suppose breaking things is all part of the experience though, so I ought to just go and plan to have something unexpected break on me and not let it ruin the trip.

xjnation said:
Im betting the rear u joint had bad bearings in one or more caps to start with..

That very easily could have been the problem. I am not totally sure of the cause of the failure, all I know is that it fawked some stuff up when the strap let loose. HAHA.

I was/am just trying to help the guy out, by stating a break that has occured on my XJ while wheeling which would be a very easy part to carry around as a spare. Everyone thinks to carry fluids, shafts, u-joints, etc., but it is the small overlooked things that can make or break ya.

do you know how many of those stupid little straps and little bolts me and my friends have broken? they are shitacular.

t case chain

power steering pump

front D30 axle

brake lines front

welder for taco'd lower control arm mount

3 core radiator if ya dont have one already

thats what I needed in two trips there myself ;)

VegasAnthony said:
t case chain

power steering pump

front D30 axle

brake lines front

welder for taco'd lower control arm mount

3 core radiator if ya dont have one already

thats what I needed in two trips there myself ;)

sounds like you need to learn to drive or at least do maintance on your junk

redyouch said:
do you know how many of those stupid little straps and little bolts me and my friends have broken? they are shitacular.

never had one fail or know of one that has failed except for those who flog the crap outa their rigs.......the u bolts are a better choice indeed

Id take spare axle shafts for the front and rear, spare u-joints(at least a couple), enough nuts and bolts to peice most anything back together, lots of ducttape, rope, wire, and any tools to fix ANYTHING you think you might break.

I wheel with half my garage in my XJ and havent really broken much....but you can never be over prepaired.

xjnation said:
never had one fail or know of one that has failed except for those who flog the crap outa their rigs.......the u bolts are a better choice indeed

You wouldn't be referring to Stormin' Norman, would ya? :laugh:

Back