• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? about a 96 ZJ

bretto

NAXJA Forum User
My friend here at work has a 96 ZJ with a auto tranny problem where it won't shift out of 1st gear. I am wondering if the computer would be the same as my '92 XJ where I can pull the codes with the key. Or would there be any codes from the tranny? Also a side question, if your tank is empty will the fuel pump not pump/prime?
Thanks
Brett

The ZJ will have the 42RE tranny (assuming a 4.0). You have an AW4.
The ZJ will be OBDII, yours is OBDI, so the codes will be different and no, you can't do the key thing. Take it to Autozone if you have one nearby. They will read the codes for free.

Direct him over to wjjeeps.com for the codes. Lots of good GC stuff there.

wjjeeps.com is for WJ's

The Chrysler TCM doesn't pass many codes at all thru the OBDII protocol port or PCM. Maybe one or two codes, probably from the PCM that it sets itself from talking with the TCM.

The Autozone Reader is a simple OBDII reader, it does NOT communicate with TCM's, Body Computer's, ABS Modules or Air Bag Modules. He may have to take it to a dealer or repair shop with the extremely expensive scan tools, that can read the TCM.

Give it a try, I could be wrong.

As well, I "THINK" the Chrysler 42RE is just the A-604/41TE trans adapted to RWD. That trans typically locks into "Limp Home" mode when it encounters a serious problem. It locks the trans in 2nd Gear, which 2nd Gear could seem like 1st when your used to a 4spd auto. Usually the problem is bad enough, that the only fix is a rebuild.

I made a lot of guess's and jumps in logic there, for your friends sake I hope I'm wrong and its a simple problem. It can't hurt to stop at autozone and have them scan, but I think your going to have to hit a dealer or transmission shop. Expect they may tell you that it needs a rebuild, and you want to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion and price qoute on that. Many trans shops rip people off, as well as dealerships.

Back