• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear brakes not working?

Jeep00xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 2000 xj and the rear brakes are not working at all. I first noticed it when I was buried to the axles and I went to put it into park the rear tires just kept spinning. I have rebuilt the rear brakes changed the pads bleed the brakes still nothing at all. So if anyone could help I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!!

Adjustments.

Adjustments.

Adjustments.

Take a look at your manual and follow the adjustment proceducre, do this for the service brake adjustment first (turn the start wheel to spread the shoes out) then do it for the parking brake (under the rig). You'd be amazed was properly adjusted drums can do.

You can get your service brakes into adjustment; if you cannot get your parking brake to work it's possible the cables are stretched, it happens. However I very much doubt that with a vehicle as new as 2000.

With or without ABS?

does it have a good pedal height and feel solid ?

siezed or frozen wheel cylinder's .
jack it up on stands , remove rear drums and have someone push the pedal down slowly as you watch the shoes for movement .

You should be able to push in wheel cylinders with your fingers, if they won't budge, their siezed. You should be able to slide them back and forth a bit. Try peeling back the rubber boot on the wheel cylinder and inspecting.

I'd have some push on the pedal as a last resort, your very likely to push the pistons right out of the cylinders and have to put them back together and bleed the brakes again.

Wheel cylinders are a good thing to check; they do go out. Do what they said but I'll be you you do have SOME braking to the rear. Notice that his major point of htem not working is the parking brake doing nothing? That has nothing to do with the wheel cylinders (parking brake it mechanical, not hydrolic). The parking brake depends on two things - cable adjustment and brake adjusment (which also helps for the service brakes).

Alrighty sorry it took so long to get back to you guys, anyways it does not have abs. The emergency brake does work some but the cable is stretched (been playing with it to much on gravel roads). I jacked it up in the rear and put it into gear and then applied the brakes and the wheels just keep spinning.

1st-Check the rear drums are properly adjusted. You have not responded back that you did that, if they are way out of adjustment (very probable if you rebuilt the rear brakes and put in the adjusters/star wheels fully retracted and never went back and adjusted them) then you would get the symptoms your talking about.

2nd-If the rear brakes still do not grab after adjusting them, then check the wheel cylinders for being siezed up.

3rd-If the wheel cylinders are working, I'd start looking for leaks or at the Master Cylinder. You do NOT have a BRAKE LIGHT, correct? The fluid level stays constants in the Brake Reservouir, correct?

The parking brake is the last thing to adjust and check. If the rear drums are out of adjustment, they will create less braking force, with a low pedal height, the parking brake will be much looser as well. Only after you get the rear drums working right and properly adjusted, do you adjust the parking brake cable.

Its possible to mess up the rear drum adjustment by having the parking brake cable too tight. If you suspect that, then loosen the parking brake cable, get the rear drums working right and then go back and tighten the parking brake cable.

Back