• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Door Locks

Atom

NAXJA Forum User
I need someone who knows alot about how the Jeep door locks work to help me with my problem. Ok here it goes- I have a 1996 XJ se with out door locks. I bought a alarm with remote door locks. So I thougt, cool door locks that would be nice. I went and got 4 lock actuators from a 91 jeep in the junk yard. The problem is now I dont know how to hook it all up. The actuators all work but there is only 2 wires. I can make em work by putting them on the batterie and then switching the poles to get them to lock. But how do I make this work? Do the actuators get ground from mounting them or do I really have to switch the polarity every time? THen also my alarm has 3 wires: Unlock wire/12V out wire/ Lock wire. So how do I make it all work? Am I missing some important part? I know some one out there knows!
Thanks, Atom

Well I know two things, 1st. Take it to a Circuit City, Best Buy type of place to have it installed. 2nd. If you going to do it, get a Clitons manual to get the wires down. If you have an FSM that would be even better. Just my two cents. Juice

Atom,

The door lock motors are reversible, meaning the unlock and lock wire alternate as the power and the gound path. For example when you hit the lock button on the door switch pwr goes from the switch to the door lock motor and back through the unlock wire to the door switch and to the body ground. With any luck you xj already has the wires and connectors in the wire harness. You need the door switches for both front doors and a wiring diagram for your yr xj. But the diagram for 91 -96 should work. Check out xjog at yahoo groups and he has some diagrams that should help. Also you should have the connector rods from the motors to the door locks to do the job. Note the wiring diagram will indicate that it uses two relays in the passenger side kick panel so you may have to get those also, if not get some 12v 5 blade relays - stereo and lighting suppliers for cars should have them. Good Luck. Greg

Back