• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Code in Spot 5 "GEN"

MikeR

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched on here and a few other forums and im kinda lost on this one. In the number 5 slot on my dash to the left of the steering column, I have a code that came up "GEN" I searched in my owners manual and it said that the slot was open...There is a generator code but it is a battery symbol and in spot 17. My jeep is a 1996 so I think that might have something to do with it but im lost any help is great. Car is running fine just a little curious to what "GEN: is???? Maybe Jeep spelled engine wrong

Do you have a "gauge" or "light" instrument cluster ?it really doesn,t matter as the "GEN" light should light only when the switch is on but go out when the engine is running.If it comes on with the engine running that points to a charging system problem.
Wayne

Before cars had alternators they had generators. Hence the nomenclature. Im surprised that they would still refer to it as such but you never can tell why they do what they do. As stated check out your charging system.

redyouch said:
my buddy has a 96 with that light on all the time. what is it for???
That points to a problem in the charging system.Get it checked out or he will be walking.
Wayne

I am friends with Mike the guy who has the problem and there is nothing wong with his charging system and we realize that it could possibly and probably does stand for Generator. We are looking for someone who knows exactly what this is and how to turn it off. Cause i am positive that Mikes charging system has no problems.

Crewzzzer said:
I am friends with Mike the guy who has the problem and there is nothing wong with his charging system and we realize that it could possibly and probably does stand for Generator. We are looking for someone who knows exactly what this is and how to turn it off. Cause i am positive that Mikes charging system has no problems.
Scan the codes.

Back