• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie rods

Tie rods, or tie rod ends?

Rusty doesn't manufacture tie rod ends, he sells ends made by one of the large manufacturers. Unless there's something special about your rig that you're not telling us, I'd go with Moog or NAPA house brand ends.

You could do the V8 ZJ tie rod upgrade while you are at it. Tell the parts guy that you want the inner and outer tie rod ends and adjusting sleeve for a 95 Grand Cherokee with a V8 and you will get something that looks like this:

standard.jpg

The tie rod is solid steel as opposed to the hollow tie rod that comes stock on an XJ. Stick with the XJ drag link, the ZJ one doesn't fit. :(

Handlebars said:
You could do the V8 ZJ tie rod upgrade while you are at it. Tell the parts guy that you want the inner and outer tie rod ends and adjusting sleeve for a 95 Grand Cherokee with a V8 and you will get something that looks like this:

standard.jpg

The tie rod is solid steel as opposed to the hollow tie rod that comes stock on an XJ. Stick with the XJ drag link, the ZJ one doesn't fit. :(
How much did the ZJ rod set you back?

if you arent lifted more than 6 inches... i'd check out the currie setup for tj and xj .. major beef.. bout twice as thick as stock and solid.. still the inverted y setup though.. uses 1 ton TREs but the TRE is machined down so you dont have to ream the knuckle to get em to fit... i've had the setup on 2 XJs and a TJ... havent had an issue yet..

I just bought one from goferitoffroad.com and it is beefy as heck! Its huge! And I got some dodege 1/2 ton TREs to go along with it so its pretty beefy! Now my drag link is my "weak" link!

I got a big daddy offroad tie rod for $70. uses the stock TREs.

Incredible Hulk said:
I just bought one from goferitoffroad.com and it is beefy as heck! Its huge! And I got some dodege 1/2 ton TREs to go along with it so its pretty beefy! Now my drag link is my "weak" link!

Not necessarily. I've been running that tie rod for over a year (MAJOR record for me!!!) and actually bent it a month or two ago. Draglink is still in great shape. I had to bend the Goferitoffroad.com tie rod back to shape in a 20 ton press and had a difficult time getting it back to 'straight', but it was stout enough, I thought I'd run it for a while and see if it bent easily again.

I'd buy another. Good product IMHO

WOW! I am surprised to hear you were able to bend it! It seems awful stout! How did you do it? Thats crazy! Good to hea ryou would buy it again though!

Incredible Hulk said:
WOW! I am surprised to hear you were able to bend it! It seems awful stout! How did you do it? Thats crazy! Good to hea ryou would buy it again though!

I doubt it would happen again, but I slipped off of a pointed rock that was just wide and tall enough to get between the axle tube and the tie rod. The tie rod lost (as it should).............

I tend to bend tie rods (2 alumiflexes and at least 5 or 6 stockers) and am VERY pleased with the Goferitoffroad one. I used to not worry about tie rod end wear, but with how long this one has lasted, I've had to add that to my normal 'checking' on the XJ.........

family XJ said:
So does anyone out there run Rustys tierod converion? I also saw someplace that offers a way to run the tie rod on top of the ball joints vice running underneath. Anyone do this

My personal opinion with the D30 (or the D44)..........You're polishing a turd if you're planning on 35" or greater.........D60.

Back