• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Cherokee steering

Bluesisblood

NAXJA Forum User
First, let me say that I have just purchased my 88 Cherokee Pioneer and so I have just registered here. I am sure that I will get good advice and will offer any knowledge I stumble upon in return.
My issue is this. The steering works OK and I can even drive as is, but the steering column is loose. If I grab the wheel with both hands, I can move the whole column (back and forth, circular, etc.). The gentleman who sold me the vehicle made me aware of the problem and suggested that this might be a somewhat common problem. An engineering flaw, perhaps?

Anyway, I inquired about this issue at 2 Jeep dealerships and several national auto parts stores in my area and no one has a clue. I am quite prepared to take the column apart and go piece by piece as they suggest, but I wonder if anyone here can shed any light on this. Thanks.

-Blues

the problem is inside the steering column. you need to take the steering column apart to get to 3 bolts that hold together the knuckle for the tilt steering. take the bolts out one at a time and put thread lock on them. IIRC, i could only get to two of the bolts. i needed a puller to get the steering wheel off.

there is a link somewhere for this fix. try a search for a gm colomn fix.

Back