• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tried "search" for 3 hours-simple question

klonestar

NAXJA Forum User
I have to replace the rear leaf springs on a 90' Cherokee Laredo which is stock. How much lift can I add to the rear end without needing to change anything else? 1"-2"?

TIA (thanks in advance)
Ken

The rear with stock springs sits at 17" I believe when measures from the middle of the wheel cap to the bottom of the fender. Factory Up Country springs sit once ince higher.

Without changing anything else? About an inch. At two inches, it's really time to reinvestigate that rear brakeline and make sure the added height won't be a problem. It's also time to look at new shocks and possibly Bar-Pin Eliminators...when I did my 2" Budget Boost my stock shocks were about 1/2" from being fully extended and needed replacement before they ripped the mounts off.

With a '90 you'll probably be okay with the stock slip-yoke in the transfer case but that's still something you may want to invest a few bucks in to get a heavier-duty output that actually seals the output of the t-case.

:lecture:
He said 2 inches, I'll say 3.

I installed a 3" skyjacker lift (new leaf pack) on an '88 without having to change anything else but the u-joint on the driveshaft - it was wearing out anyway.
I've done more since that lift, but not out of necessity - I just got the Jeep bug (and it drained by wallet) :D

However, from my research, I would not go any higher than 3 inches.
At 4", expect to start getting a lot more expenses.

===
EDIT: Yup, my kit DID come with longer shocks!

Thanks all! Looks like its gonna be 1" for now!

Just bought it and can only afford to 'just' get it on the road for now. I expect many changes in the long run but need a DD asap. I have a fairly local spring manuf. than can make whatever I need and cost effectively. Going that route for now. Front end was in such disrepair that I keep finding more and more to replace up there. Getting closer....

Hope I can put 235/75R15 w/stock set up? Someone (a forum user here) told me theres a set screw up front for minor adjustments if I get any rub. Might just stay w/225's for now to save a little $. Hopefully when those wear out I can afford to start mods.

(Champaigne taste on a beer drinkers budget)

Many thanks,
Ken

XJHummerRescue said:
My front coils are shot and I still easily fit 235/75R15s without rubbing

Ok great news and thanks. oops now that I think of it not sure but I may only have stock shocks up front and nothing else?? Bought it sight unseen and its at a friends house out of town whose getting it road ready for me. Gotta drive down and check out a few things on it tomorrow.

I lifted 4 1/2" on stock front shocks. If you need longer, you can buy cheap extenders or make your own (I made mine out of 2 pieces of 1/2" pipe and 2 exhaust studs)
Comanche rear shackles will give you an inch or so of lift.

Back