• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emergency brake on ZJ disc conversion?

Sting25

twitter.com/cmchadwick
I did the ZJ disc conversion on a 1994 XJ 4 door 6 cyl re 3.5 lift

Obviously the emergency brake cable end that goes to the Disc is different so I purchased new ZJ lines. These lines are too short.

I can find many write ups on doing the conversion but not the e-bake part of it...Any information would be appreciated.

Perfect thank you not the same cables but the way he extended the connection rod will work I think.

The disc end on the ZJ e-brake cables has a loop to go around a hook on the brake.

I will post picks once my camera is charged

No pics, I didnt bother cutting the end off the xj cable, I did make a loop, held with a small wire rope clamp with a snug fit on to the actuator arm for the brake, it has worked well for two years so far. with the XJ cable routed over the springs it will be long enough to do this. The most tedious part of it was removing the coiled sping at the end of the cable.

What I did to keep my stock XJ e-brake cable was this:

I cut off the cable hook part of the e-brake cable "lever" from the old drum brake setup from each side (left and right drum brake setup).

I welded this "stock" piece to the e-brake lever on the new ZJ disc setup, which effectively replaced the lever and made it to where the stock XJ cable fits it perfectly. No need to cut or replace cables or cable ends. Cable adjustment is required depending on amount of lift to take up the slack.

Back