• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hub Replacement write up

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks to Dan96XJ needing a hub change and was there to take the shots, I now have a write up on changing them. Didn't have a camera with me last time so now can offer a write up for you guys and a really cheap USA made sourse for the hubs which are way better than some Asian crap going around through some Jeep shops which I have had to replace under 18 months of little mileage!

Hub10.jpg

See my service and repair section of my site. www.go.jeep-xj.info

Nice write up ... thanks for doing that.

Love your site. I used your instructions to design my headlight wiring harness, and I'm sure I'll use it for other ideas too.

I really like the write-ups that you do, but I do have a question for you...
Is there someway that you might consider posting info. about the full coil spring conversion that you did on one of your prior XJ's? I do realize that this off-topic, but, like I said, I was just wondering. Thanks.

Unfortunately that was back in 95 when I did that conversion and the XJ was written off 4 years later after having been around Australia a couple of times very reliably I must say. It was not until a few months after that one went that I made up my web site so never got to take any pictures of it. I used Range Rover stuff mainly so would be a bit harder for you to get that cheaply enough over in the USA anway.

I have to do my axle u. joints soon, so I'll be removing the hubs in the process. I already have a 36mm 12pt. socket; will a 12pt. work on the hub nuts?
EDIT: Never mind. I found my answer--6pt.

Last edited:
You do not need to remove the hubs to change a u-joint. You do not even have to remove the hub nut if you do not want too.

Timber said:
I have to do my axle u. joints soon, so I'll be removing the hubs in the process. I already have a 36mm 12pt. socket; will a 12pt. work on the hub nuts?

katarn444 said:
You do not need to remove the hubs to change a u-joint. You do not even have to remove the hub nut if you do not want too.
I know it isn't absolutely necessary, but it looks a whole lot simpler in terms of handling it while getting the caps out. I've only ever done 'shaft joints, so I don't have any real experience here.

Sorry for hijacking.

Timber said:
You can use 12 point ones as well as that is what I had to use to get it back on as the 6 point impact socket was too thick for the new hub which and a thicker center support preventing the other socket going on.

some Asian crap going around through some Jeep shops which I have had to replace under 18 months of little mileage!

www.go.jeep-xj.info

Excellent write up. I needed it and it helped me. Thank you.

You would be surprised at how much of your Jeep was made in "asia". My guage cluster was made in Japan, my AX-15 Aisin warner trans was made in Japan, my clutch disc, as was my 220K original mile nippon-denso alternator and bunch of other stuff that lasted practically forever.

Do not confuse Japanese products with chinese stuff. All asian made parts are not the same. Thats like saying Mexican-made parts are the same quality as American made parts because they all come from North America anyway. Different levels of quality control and pride in thier work. I WILL NOT buy a chinese made part, but boy howdy, if I see "made in Japan" on it, it has usually proven itself to last a long while and I WILL buy it.

Prefer American made products, but goddamn man, when a part lasts for 200+ thousand miles problem free, they must be doing something right.

Made in Japan is a major step above made in China for sure. I'm sure there will come a time when the
Chinese
step up to just as Japan did many years ago that they ended up surpassing many of the original copies they made.

Japan is like USA as China is like....well I'd actually have to say Mexico makes higher quality products than China for the most part!

EDIT - Does anybody have any experience with Falcon hubs? I bought them from a local non-chain auto parts store...$79 each, not bad as Timken was going for around $150 (I recently saw Timken online for $80...although I am sure it would be harder to warranty through an online company)

I had to replace one of my Falcon hubs right away. I suppose it could have been a manufacturing defect as they are just fine now months later. BTW I do not use an impact on any of the hub bolts. I used to always use an impact and learned I was tightening the hub nut too tight and the hammering of the impact wrench could also harm the bearings.

Back