• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 xj HO?

smilesyota

NAXJA Member #1366
I'm new to jeeps (toyota, and suzuki lover) would a 92 xj be considered a HO motor? Also what would the automatic trans be? Is it computer controlled? I can get it for 200$ but it is a no start. any info is helpfull, as I'am trying to get out of my 90 xj 5sp. Thanks

Any of this would have come up in a search, using the right terms.

BUT, being a nice guy, yes, the 1992 has the HO motor
The automatic transmission is the AW4 and it is computer controlled by a TCU

XJHummerRescue said:
Any of this would have come up in a search, using the right terms.

BUT, being a nice guy, yes, the 1992 has the HO motor
The automatic transmission is the AW4 and it is computer controlled by a TCU
At least smilesyota is a member.

Hey, I can only throw money at one thing at a time, and right now its at death wobble. Then next is a bad pulley, then maybe Ill throw some at NAXJA. I would just give it, but throwing the money is so much more satisfying.

Jeep = Junk Heep?
JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket

Not my '92 XJ Laredo anyway. Yes the '92 does have the HO 4.0 rated at 190hp@4750rpm and 225lbft@3950rpm, and the auto tranny is the stout Aisin-Warner AW4 computer-controlled 4-speed. Ratios are 2.80 (1st), 1.53 (2nd), 1.00 (3rd), 0.75 (4th) with 3.55:1 axle gears.
$200 is ridiculously cheap so expect to spend at least ten times that amount in repairs and upgrades.

Dr. Dyno said:
Jeep = Junk Heep?
JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket

Not my '92 XJ Laredo anyway. Yes the '92 does have the HO 4.0 rated at 190hp@4750rpm and 225lbft@3950rpm, and the auto tranny is the stout Aisin-Warner AW4 computer-controlled 4-speed. Ratios are 2.80 (1st), 1.53 (2nd), 1.00 (3rd), 0.75 (4th) with 3.55:1 axle gears.
$200 is ridiculously cheap so expect to spend at least ten times that amount in repairs and upgrades.

Ten times?! Please, Doc. Don't give him any false hopes.

J/K :laugh3: I overpaid for my '93 and after 100K it's due for some TLC, but it's a nice little ride and a big upgrade from my old '86 Ram Charger. Enjoy the HO/AW4 - once you get it started :thumbup:

I spent $2,000 on my '89 Sport 2 door, had 132,000 on the odometer
Now It has 155,000 3 years later, and I've probably put around $1,000 into it and much more to come, almost everything in the front suspension is shot, and a couple pulleys are starting to whine. It's about time to Just Empty Every Pocket.

But, once I'm done with that, my Jeep will be back to the sweet machine it once was.

Back