• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 Cherokee 4.0 needs a new Engine, Help

gmcelroy

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 93 Cherokee 4x4 4.0 automatic with 136K miles for $825.
The engine knocks and I think its the rod bearings.

I want to purchase a new long block to drop in it.
Does anyone know of any 'good' places to pick one up?

So far, I found a place up in WA State that will sell a rebuilt motor including NEW VALVES, ROCKER ARMS & PUSH RODS for $1581 including shipping and core. I can find motors in the $1400 range but they do reuse /recondition the existing valve train.....For the extra $$, I would rather have new stuff under the valve cover.

Any advise & council would be appreciated......THanks

gmcelroy said:
.........So far, I found a place up in WA State that will sell a rebuilt motor including NEW VALVES, ROCKER ARMS & PUSH RODS for $1581 including shipping and core........

What is the place called? Waterhouse Motors? Or something else?

If you want a cheaper replacement, go to a junk yard and find one that has low miles.

I'm putting a reman Jasper in tomorrow nite in my 98, cost $2100 complete drop in. 3yr/75K mile warranty IIRC. Waiting on the new injectors from five-oh. Heading out there in a while to give the TB a good cleaning as well as the intake while I have it apart.

RichP said:
I'm putting a reman Jasper in tomorrow nite in my 98, cost $2100 complete drop in. 3yr/75K mile warranty IIRC. Waiting on the new injectors from five-oh. Heading out there in a while to give the TB a good cleaning as well as the intake while I have it apart.

Is this preventive maintance or did the 4.0 finally kick the bucket.

hey rich p which injectors did you pick up from fivo for your reman engine. I have a 94 and they dont list the correct injectors for my xj, they should be 21lb and they list 19lb ???

just curious ?
pete

jeepsrock said:
hey rich p which injectors did you pick up from fivo for your reman engine. I have a 94 and they dont list the correct injectors for my xj, they should be 21lb and they list 19lb ???

just curious ?
pete

Got the bosch II's. Should be here in the mail tomorrow, did'nt get out like I wanted to, got busy...

CMNCHE said:
Is this preventive maintance or did the 4.0 finally kick the bucket.

The #3 injector stuck open, guess it washed the walls down, -0- compression on #3 cylinder. At 300K and no plans on getting rid of it the new motor, clutch and stuff seemed like a good idea.
Then my sons YJ blew his AX5, he's putting a new one as I type, they started yesterday, ordered the parts and got them on sat then got under it and found out some previous owner had converted it to external slave so he had to reorder....

montanaman said:
Check out this place:

http://rebuilt-auto-engines.com/

I bought my rebuilt 4.0L from them and it's doing great. $1250.00 after trade-in. They are in Spokane, WA (a 4-hour drive for me). They also have a toll-free number. Very good service, good motor. 7 year, 70,000 mile warranty.

I have the same motor from them...did you happen to read the warranty clause that says something to the effect that if you fail to get a emissions test within 90 days of purchasing the motor the warranty is void!!?? Do you have any piston slap at startup?I do untill it warms up.What year is your xj,Montana man?...is it a renix?

If I had it to do all over I would not buy from them......my motor came steel banded to a skid,partially resting on the crank counter weights,with a cardboard box thrown over the top!!!As if that was going to protect my 1300 investment from those fork happy assholes at the dock.

Last edited:
jeepdeepfreak said:
I have the same motor from them...did you happen to read the warranty clause that says something to the effect that if you fail to get a emissions test within 90 days of purchasing the motor the warranty is void!!?? Do you have any piston slap at startup?I do untill it warms up.What year is your xj,Montana man?...is it a renix?

If I had it to do all over I would not buy from them......my motor came steel banded to a skid,partially resting on the crank counter weights,with a cardboard box thrown over the top!!!As if that was going to protect my 1300 investment from those fork happy assholes at the dock.

Hey ... sorry to hear of your experience. I drove to Spokane to pick up my motor (4.0 HO), and had a very good experience. They loaded it very carefully on a pallet and loaded it onto the back of my pickup. Its been running beautifully with no problems.

They were recommended to me by two local mechanics who have installed a lot of their motors with no problems. I got the emissions test with no problems.

gmcelroy said:
I just bought a 93 Cherokee 4x4 4.0 automatic with 136K miles for $825.
The engine knocks and I think its the rod bearings.

I want to purchase a new long block to drop in it.
Does anyone know of any 'good' places to pick one up?

So far, I found a place up in WA State that will sell a rebuilt motor including NEW VALVES, ROCKER ARMS & PUSH RODS for $1581 including shipping and core. I can find motors in the $1400 range but they do reuse /recondition the existing valve train.....For the extra $$, I would rather have new stuff under the valve cover.

Any advise & council would be appreciated......THanks

Before the thread went into a tangent, You should know several things. There are a couple of things that will cause a knock in XJ's. One is the bolts on the flex plate coming loose and hit the bellhousing. Pull the dust cover in front of the bellhousing and check the bolts. Second they are famous for piston slap. A can of RESTORE will cure most of it. Third these engines are good for more then 200k miles unless sometrhing happens.

Back