• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gearing in autos

i was going to go swap axles with another cherokee that just sits so i could get rid of my 3.07s but i think i might go higher than 3.55s. thanks

more food for thought my i just helped a friend pull a set of 4.10 axles out of a xj with a (2.8??) v-6. usually the deeper gears are found in the smaller engines.

3.55 in most autos, 3.73 in auto with tow package. but as with anything jeep look before you assume.

SourApple said:
how do i "look" and tell?
Jack the back end up so both rear wheels are off the ground, and turn the rear driveshaft by hand. Count how many rotations of the driveshaft it takes to make one rotation of the wheels. About three rotations means 3.07s, three and a half is 3.55, et c. Not exact, but probably close enough.

read the little tag thingie, if its still under a bolt on the diff cover.

Should be a tag attached to the bolts for the cover. Also; my '01 has a big label wrapped around the passenger side of the axle with this info.

Back